DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
think i wanna just bolt a pack under my car instead of finding nooks and crannies to stuff my batteries in. would have to fabricate mounting points and such much i feel like it would be cleaner and easier to buy a whole ev battery from another car and just bolt it under. my car will be lifted so it should be okay but the only thing im concerned about is finding a pack for the job. the only pack i see that looks easy enough to work is the bmw i3 packs because they don't vary in height. but good luck finding any for a reasonable price including having to make your own cooling system given the almost proprietary noble gas, they use for cooling lol.
and i think you could make some tesla batteries work as well if you take off the pent house and make your own cover. but those are still expensive, yet more available. but larger in size horizontally.

any thoughts? any other packs you think would be easy. hmm even thinking if there are some packs in which you arrange the cells slightly and just make a new modified cover but still keep them in the same original housing just with the top cover modified so you could even out the cells flat.

also my car will be front wheel drive so there wont be a long axle or anything running through the bottom frame.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes it’s been done, there’s a full Tesla swapped bmw that’s been done this way, and a few trucks with custom chassis in the same manner. it’s a lot of structural work.

leaf, Kia Soul, pacifica packs could work as well

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it’s been done, there’s a full Tesla swapped bmw that’s been done this way, and a few trucks with custom chassis in the same manner. it’s a lot of structural work.

leaf, Kia Soul, pacifica packs could work as well
do you know any posts or videos with the battery underneath?

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Typically, if the entire pack goes under the car without structural modification to the car, it was either an incredibly stupid car design to start with or it ends up with insufficient ground clearance.

It's a van, not a car, but Yabert has a detailed thread here: Westfalia T3 with Chevy Bolt drivetrain
Yes, and he did substantial structural work plus cut a big hole in the floor for the taller part of the pack.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Think about having to justify the modifications to your insurance people and the DMV. Even if you don't tell them about the modification. In an accident, they could be the ultimate judges of whether you were or were not operating an unsafe vehicle. This could affect your insurance coverage and fault in an accident. Don't forget the other parties attorneys in a multiple car accident.
Some areas to think about are the ground clearance of the battery pack and the side and front impact protection in the original vehicle. Don't forget the High Voltage disconnect points and signage for first responders(how are they going to know it's an EV).

There's a lot to consider when you do a EV conversion

1 - 6 of 6 Posts