DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to track down decent forklift motors, and finally got a pretty good lead on motors for about $200/unit. He has some of what he's calling 8" motors with the shaft available at both ends (for running in mechanical series) and he also says he has some single shaft 11" motors (but he didn't send me any pictures?)

Here are some of the pics he sent me. . .

I'm not really planning on using these for my conversion at this point. . . Anyone interested in using these? I can help to make the connection if it could get a car rolling again! ~ these are located in Minneapolis. I'm happy to ship them~

·
Administrator
6,110 Posts
The bigger of those three motors looks like about 5 inches in diameter - not 8 inches and may be of use for a motorbike

As a general rule a 9 inch motor will be about 60kg in weight and is about the smallest that is useful for a car

An 11 inch motor will be about 100kg

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
It's kind of you to think of others, but, used forklift motors aren't in short supply.

Basically every major city will have a couple that will sell you motors for scrap price.

I agree with Duncan, these in particular are small. Maybe even small for a motorbike.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's kind of you to think of others, but, used forklift motors aren't in short supply.

Basically every major city will have a couple that will sell you motors for scrap price.

I agree with Duncan, these in particular are small. Maybe even small for a motorbike.

Very good to know. I had quite a bit of leg-work to find any in my area. But I agree, these ones don't look ideal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts