DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking i might try to 3d print a motor couple for a nissan leaf. would this be smart if i beefed it up? wanna run some simulations but ive never simulated anything before just modeled lol.
of course it would be able to work at walking speeds but idk maybe i could design one that by shear mass could withstand a leaf motors torque which compared to a tesla isnt a lot. but still a lot for plastic. so im not sure. i think ill give it a try though. whats the worst that can happen? plastic exploding?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Any 3d-print will not hold up to the 254NM 80kW motor output. There is a reason why OEMs aren't making drivetrain components out of plastic.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I assume that we're talking about a shaft coupler, not a housing adapter. No matter how massive the body of the coupler, the strength will be limited by the spline teeth, which will likely shear off, leaving a plastic-coated shaft spinning in a round hole in a plastic block.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The plastic spline teeth would break, and possibly melt due to friction. Plastics used by 3d printers are generally not high-temp plastics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have experience creating a few parts from 3d prints for driveline components... But your final pieces will need to be metal. I use the 3d prints as prototypes, then take them to a metal caster who will use the "lost wax" process to create a ceramic mold to pour metal, stainless in my case. Here's a picture of before and after. Left object is 3d print, regular PLA, right object is SS cast.
There's a little bit of a shrinkage factor, so I sent a few different sizes the first time for experimentation. Certainly some post-finishing was required, but worth every minute. Not as perfect as machining, but WAY less money. I used a company in Loveland, CO called Colorado Art Castings, but any casting company is getting requests like this these days. I saw alot of car parts on their shelves, emblems, manifolds, etc. Good Luck!

thumbnail (1).jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts