DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys First Post here ;) i have a sepex controller (sevcon micropak) and a Compound motor thrige Titan ttl160c 48v 310a 11.8kw like to use both together can i use Compound Field in tue Field controll of sevcon? Or i have to rewound the Motor?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
in "theory" it should work, but it is all in the controller logic which I have my doubts it is prepared for. And how much effect it has depends on how much flux the shunt field can make.

I mean it is an interesting experiment, but don't expect an off the shelf solution. Things I would consider are:
putting the shunt fields in parallel so you can push more amps through them for a given voltage (or vice versa as necessary).

reversing the shunt field when you want additional field weakening.

etc. I would assume a custom controller and a reasonable test load to proceed, plus lots of trial and error and logging everything.

you might be able to get it to go in reverse at low armature current and high reverse shunt current.

I would use a full bridge on the shunt circuit, not a reversing contactor.

start by measuring shunt vs armature current at various loads/rpms/voltages.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I dont Need Reverse (Build with gearbox)
Idea is Connect the amatur side from sevcon to the amatur with series field there. And the shunt field (Compound winding) to the field h Bridge of sevcon. Only regen Should be in possible.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
fwiw the "simplest" control algorithm is to slave the field current to the armature current at some ratio. But if you are writing your own field controller you can tweak it for other, possibly more efficient, modes.

Also this is a lot of work, and the motor construction might not even be suitable for the application, and rewinding it for series or sepex might be the easiest route anyway, just saying.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I dont Need Reverse (Build with gearbox)
Idea is Connect the amatur side from sevcon to the amatur with series field there. And the shunt field (Compound winding) to the field h Bridge of sevcon. Only regen Should be in possible.
Diagram omitted.
Hi Den,

First off, can you change the settings in the Sevcon? I've found that to be a real problem with older Sevcons.

Then, the shunt field in a compound motor, or in a shunt motor, is designed for line voltage. In SepEx motors, the field is designed for, typically, like maybe 20% of line voltage so it can be over excited.

Then, also, connection as you outlined will have the series field bucking the shunt field during attempted regeneration.

If you can in fact modify the Sevcon parameters, I would think rewinding the 4 field coils is preferred.

Good luck,

major

1 - 6 of 6 Posts