DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Are all Tesla Model S batteries pretty much the same?

529 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  buggyEV
The last step in my VW Super Beetle conversion will be to purchase and install 5 Tesla Model S battery modules.
My question is about the wide range in cost out in the market for these batteries. I see them on ebay for around $800/module all the way up to around $1500/module for an EV parts distributor. When you are buy 5 of them that is a difference of $3500! These batteries are said to go 1 million miles with not to much reduction in performance. So why such a big range for the cost of them? What am I missing?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5,387 Posts
There are different capacity modules for starters

Some are higher current output

There's the solar market which is propping prices up

There's expected shipping cost to primary markets

There's condition of the module

There's number of miles on the modules

There's finding a sucker (solar again) who'll pay top dollar and trolling for that sale.

There's not disclosing the module was from a flood car

There's a degree of damage to the module

etc

The value of a module is where the buyer and seller agree on a price -- a seller can ask whatever they want.

· Registered
377 Posts
The last step in my VW Super Beetle conversion will be to purchase and install 5 Tesla Model S battery modules.
My question is about the wide range in cost out in the market for these batteries. I see them on ebay for around $800/module all the way up to around $1500/module for an EV parts distributor. When you are buy 5 of them that is a difference of $3500! These batteries are said to go 1 million miles with not to much reduction in performance. So why such a big range for the cost of them? What am I missing?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts
The EV parts distributors have fairly sizable margins on module sales, as many of them source from ebay anyways. On ebay it's much more cost-competitive.

Ask for the mileage of the car the modules you're getting are from before buying. Also make sure they're all from the same car (important for series strings). For my own project I bought 10 modules off of ebay and they are great, low mileage and in perfect shape. I paid $950/module but prices have since come down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts