DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
From what I've read, the rear motor of Tesla can output from 285kW to 350kW of power, depending on the model. And that motor weights about 31 kilograms.
The Tesla Model S/X 'small' front and 'small' rear drive units weigh ~90kg and produce ~220kW/~300HP peak.

The Tesla Model S/X 'large' rear drive units come in three different versions ranging from ~330kW/~450HP to ~480kW/~650HP peak. All versions weigh ~130kg.

afaik we don't yet have any reliable figures for the Tesla Model 3 drive units.

You can see the 'small' front and 'large' rear drive units in this video;

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Has anyone ever disassembled a Tesla drive-train and measured the motor?
IHS did a complete Model S teardown if you have a subscription (here).

Failing that, I can confirm the inverter for the 'small' rear drive unit weighs ~6.5kg (note that inverter in photo is missing the controller PCB).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The image of the inverter from the small drivetrain on the scale that you Duncan shared is something that no one could doubt, unless somebody is to notice that there is a writing on the scale that says "Max 5000g" on the left under the display, which reads 5979 g. ;)
You got me, I spent all day fabricating that image but missed the label on the scales... oh, its Kevin BTW :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.