DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and I apologize if this is somewhere here. I have read several threads that start with 'I am planning to...'. My question is: where are the updated plans of successful completed projects? Is there a thread that shows various steps of conversion from beginning to end? With parts list, drawings, field notes, videos, etc??

I understand that this is a DIY forum, but I wish to benefit from all of your experience (perhaps I am too lazy to wade through all of the in-progress discussion). It is very daunting to start a project.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
It's even more daunting to be in the middle of an EV build project, or two, or three....

Nope - nobody is going to engineer your car for you here. It's that opportunity cost thing with our time - I just pop in when I need a break from CAD, simulations, writing, and avoiding cleaning up my workspace.

If you're too lazy to wade through all the material and learn so you can engineer the specifics for your car (every build has different constraints and goals), maybe, instead of shopping for plans you should just go buy an EV? Why - because you can't even say which car you're converting, why, what the goals are, what your skills are, what resources and tools you have, blah blah blah. Nothing but taking your first step right into the cow poop, blaming a forum of busy people so you have an excuse to avail yourself of because of a possible inability to take the first step. You have a problem in any step of a build, people here will try to help or throw an opinion at you, welcome or not.

Closest thing to step by step handholding and spoonfeeding is Youtube. Start there. Amazon's books will have you using lead acid batteries - call it a nostalgia build when people ask.

If you ever do decide what why and everything else, pop back in.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is there a thread that shows various steps of conversion from beginning to end? With parts list, drawings, field notes, videos, etc??
Creating such documentation is a LOT of work. There will be lots of threads where people document their projects as they go along, such as my thread on the VX220. These will include the general overview of what's required and the major components purchased, as well as lots of mistakes and false starts, but it is unlikely that many people will go back and distill what they've finished into engineering drawings, BOMs, etc. Anyone who has successfully completed a project probably just wants to sleep and never see the inside of a car again in their lives ;)

You will probably be better off focusing on one question at a time and searching the existing material.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Creating such documentation is a LOT of work. There will be lots of threads where people document their projects as they go along, such as my thread on the VX220. These will include the general overview of what's required and the major components purchased, as well as lots of mistakes and false starts, but it is unlikely that many people will go back and distill what they've finished into engineering drawings, BOMs, etc. Anyone who has successfully completed a project probably just wants to sleep and never see the inside of a car again in their lives ;)

You will probably be better off focusing on one question at a time and searching the existing material.
This is the better of the two answers provided. Myself I looked at forums. Bought the out of date books which were inspirational anyway. Watched endless youtube videos. Asked questions and sought help from anyone and everyone I could. Ie i had no experience welding so i literally asked around my neighborhood for people who could help and I was lucky enough to find some. Many of the solutions used here are complicated but there are other less complex options.

Doing a EV of your own will not be cheaper than buying a used Nissan leaf but it will feel much more special than that. But for someone like me with zero experience in a number of the fields involved it can take years. Theres nothing like it though. I guess like in any project you take on. Few people build things themselves these days. This goes from a shed to a car. If you do it yourself youll have a priceless sense of achievement if you complete it. My youngest daughter is keenly waiting for a ride and I work each week on making that happen. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
lol, documentation....

About the only time I could see a DIY build being documented with tech drawings, BOM and related things, is if the DIY build is a pathfinder to a small scale business converting a single type of car with a single package either as a kit or as a drive in, drive out job.. Eg, Warp motor into a VW beetle, Small Telsa motor into a classic mini, FT86/BRZ/Scion FR-S with a tesla motor.

I can tell you from experience, and pretty much everyone else here currently in a build will agree, What we envisioned and planned at the start is not the same as what we are working with now. Details change, better parts come along, refinements in design are made when we are actually looking at the car because we figure out a different or better way to achieve the goal, sometimes those refinements come after the first, second or 3rd iteration.

If you want a nice book with all the engineering diagrams, details on how to fix things, pictures etc, Buy an EV that has a haynes manual, or make the documentation yourself as a one off to match your one off EV creation.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Start here because we no longer have a forum garage with all the fun goodies. It went away years ago and never came back.

Some of the vehicles have dead links to personal blogs on the build but it is more for inspiration than actual detailed documentation. Lots to wade through but you must do the work. I started over there before this forum existed. My first build was simple but successful before lithium was available. A nice lead sled.

What are you converting? What is your budget? What is your mechanical experience. Buying a used EV is not a bad Idea. I did. I converted a couple VW's and had an Electric MG for a short time. I purchased two Nissan Leafs new and now have a 2014 Fiat 500E. The Fiat is a Blast. Not a long range but plenty for my daily commute each way.

Pete :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts