DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone be willing to design a little battery, motor or electric volt looking icon of some sort for use as the little favicon.ico that goes beside the site name in the browser window? I'm no good with graphics. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think we should just scale down your avatar and use that. It's remarkably like the icon I use for my EV pages, which looks like the yellow and black plug logo in this button:

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd rather not use a caution sign that I found! I think it has a bad connotation. :)

That plug graphic looks good. Where'd you get it?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I made it. It's part of the navigation menu from the main page:

Here's the icon, although it doesn't show in my browser, it can be downloaded in a "save target as" right click:

http://www.mrsharkey.com/evgfx/ev.ico

It's a custom icon with three sizes (16x16, 32x32, and 48x48 in two color depths, 16 and 256 colors. About it's only limitation is that it isn't an "XP compatible" icon, that is it doesn't display in transparency.

If you'd like to use it for the forum, you're welcome to it. Of course, you'll need to rename it "favicon.ico", or change the META tags in the page headers to reflect the file name.

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha thanks for that mannyman but we all see that you're just trying to promote your GTII :)

Sharkey I'm interested in using your icon. I have to comment on the irony behind having a totally XP themed nav menu without XP compatible transparency :)

What we need is a 16x16 version of that, 2 colors with transparency. It'll just be used for favicon.ico. Can you take care of that for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts
That icon was made in "Microangeleo", a centuries-old icon builder program that I ran as a trial demo on one of my old machines. XP was still a twich in Bill Gates bank account back then. These days, I don't have any program that can do icon transparency. If someone can suggest something, I'd give it a try. If icon transparency is so important, I probably should give the treatment to all of the icons on my site.

Of course, I would rather eat a toad than acutally use XP. I stopped at Win 2K and will be staying there until there is some real, compelling reason to give up all of my privacy for the latest operating system. That, and I can't stand the XP look and feel. The helpful popups telling you that you've connected to a network, inserted some media, or pressed a key drive me nuts.

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's too bad, XP actually has some very nice functionality that 2000 is missing. Vista even more so. XP also has a more stable kernel. You can just switch it to classic mode to not have the theme look if you want. Anyway...

If you have photoshop you can create the ico in there. Or you can hand an image to any number of online ico creators.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah, I've got XP on my laptop running in "Classic" mode and I still hate it. I've dumbed it down as far as I could and still get annoyed when it decides it knows more about what I'm trying to do than I do. At least I got rid of the talking paperclip and cute puppy that sprung up each time you opened "help" or tried to search for something. There's a neat-o program called XPLite that can rip the guts out of Microsoft operating systems and remove all that objectionable junk. Even the trial version makes MS a bit more bareable.

Someone needs to make a Linux GUI that emulates Win 2000 and allows running win32 applications without all the mucking about with Wine. So far, I haven't found a version of KDE that doesn't make me even more nauseous than XP.

As far as I'm concerned MS hasn't made any real improvements to the Win 32 operating system since NT 4.0. I ran that as a desktop for years and had only one BSoD the whole time. Ultra-stable, but not very hardware friendly.

I guess I'm a throwback as far as Photoshop is concerned too. PS 7.0 doesn't "do" icons. I did find a trial version of an icon creator program that includes transparency, but it's a 14 Mb download, and there's no way I can justify that at 2.4Kb/sec. Next time I'm in town I'll use a client's DSL to make the process less painful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts