DIY Electric Car Forums banner

ATX computer Power supply

7K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Fatboynotslim 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have converted a ATX 530W computer power supply to be a cheap lab power supply. The output is 2x 12V @ 18amps. I read somewhere that you can covert them for 144V DC input but no details. Do you think you can use this for a cheap DC to DC convertor ? Is 18amp sufficient for a vacuum pump and to charge the main battery?

#2 ·
To use a computer powersupply as a DC-DC converter you can simply plug the HVDC directly into the input terminals. As it is a switched power supply, it can run from either AC or DC. The maximum DC input voltage should be 1.5 * rated AC voltage. 180V for 120V units, or 360V for 240V units.

To get the output to be 13.8V instead of 12V you need to modify the feedback circuit that controls the +12V rail.

#6 ·
To use a computer powersupply as a DC-DC converter you can simply plug the HVDC directly into the input terminals. As it is a switched power supply, it can run from either AC or DC. The maximum DC input voltage should be 1.5 * rated AC voltage. 180V for 120V units, or 360V for 240V units.

To get the output to be 13.8V instead of 12V you need to modify the feedback circuit that controls the +12V rail.
OK how do I do that?

Does this apply to all PC power supplies? - I have a couple of old ones with a switch for 110v - 230v - will they take DC as well?

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.