DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m new here and just at the end of a Austin Healey Sprite 71 conversion, Frog eye next if this one is successful. Using an AC51 motor, Curtis controller and 144v traction pack. Split as 24 batteries in rear and 21 up front approximately 30kwh so should have a reasonable range. Retaining gearbox, no flywheel or mechanical clutch, but with electronic clutch so should still be engaging to drive. These pictures show development and figuring out placement. Heater will have electric 2x 1Kw selectable heating elements run from traction pack. I hope to finish in the next two weeks so will post pics when complete and driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: Austin Healey Sprite’71 conversion

Excited to see your post and can't wait to see your pictures and read the details of your conversion. i'm starting a bug eye conversion with my son-in-law and we are looking for ideas. Ill be interested in seeing how the rear battery box is installed. Looking forward to hearing more.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Wow, almost finished, well done buddy. I'm in the UK and working on a Karmann Ghia. Are you also in the UK? If so, what are you planning to tell the DVLA?
Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hi, Yes, I'm in the UK. Your Karmann conversion should be good and I believe I have seen quite a few conversions from various companies so there should be plenty of information and knowledge out there. My conversion is finished and I have taken a first test drive, unfortunately after a few miles driving and some acceleration tests I appeared to lose drive / power to the motor for no obvious reason. I haven't debugged the issue yet. Where are you based in the UK?

·
Registered
8 Posts

I'm in Leamington Spa. I'm trying to keep as close to the original Leaf set up as possible - once it's running I'll then drop in a new brain board to the inverter. That said, I may end up doing that sooner of I can't get things running without it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts