DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I have rebuilt mainly landrovers over the last 20yrs so this is a new thing for me although I am a qualified electrician.
I have purchased a mini that was converted over 30yrs ago, the motor runs ok powered buy 4 batteries.
Its as far as I can make out the motor is a series motor and has four wires two going to armature (A1 & A2) and two going to coil (S1 & S2).
I have a curtis controller with contactors mounted on a nice big alloy plate.
All connected up and runs at variable speed well however I cannot seem to get the motor to reverse.
I would love some advice as I have tried just about everything now to get this motor to reverse.
Guy

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
To reverse electrically, the polarity of the armature and field windings need to be reversed; this is normally done by a contactor arrangement. Think of a four-way lighting switch...

·
Registered
1971 Mini Marcos, Outlander Meiden Motor, Meiden Inverter
94 Posts
have you got any pics of the install? Is this one of the BMC converted minis or was it done by a private individual?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi
Thanks for replies
See attached it was completed by a local chap to me as a project many years ago and has just sat in a garage/barn until now.
It was setup as on or off. So I have fitted a Curtis controller set up on a Noco board.
Motor runs just struggling with the reverse bit. The Noco/curtis is set up however cannot get it to reverse not sure if wiring is right as motor has no details plate or markings.
I don`t have much experience with motors so its a big learning curve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just re tested and finally worked out the wiring which is a real relief and the motor now runs forward and reverse at variable speed not just on/off.
now just need to see if the transfer box works ok.

·
Registered
1971 Mini Marcos, Outlander Meiden Motor, Meiden Inverter
94 Posts
sounds like great progress, seems a simple enoughsetup too. What batteries are you running it off? 4 lead acid 12volts??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts