DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm (still) planning my conversion using an AC motor and, hopefully, a '96 Dodge Caravan / Chrysler Voyager. Thing is, they have automatic transmissions... so I can either use a single-speed transmission/diff. that can be bought with the motor, or keep the original one.
I read there's a lot of loss with DC motors in automatics, but will it work for AC motors? If not, is it possible to configure at what speed / torque the gears shift?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
As far as i know the loss occurs because even at a complete stop at a traffic light you have to keep the engine 'idling' to keep the gearbox fluid pressure up. So you are using up your amps whether you were moving or not. This would happen in either AC or DC. Its not infrequent that people just leave their car in one gear permanenlty the only drawback would be your top speed, you would have to put in the calculations as to your motor's "red-line" or max rpm and the drive ratio to work out whether the top speed would be acceptable for your driving requirements.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply! I hope the transmission mes-dea sell with their motor will do...it's really hard to find a voyager with manual transmission ^^

1 - 3 of 3 Posts