DIY Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
So how much for a motor? I'm not even going to need a gear box. I just don't want to see them scrapped.
I'd like to know this too. I've got an AC24 in my car, with an AT1200, and I'd love to get an LS in there - it's kinda like upgrading. ;)

The AC24 is decent in my Geo Metro (Refurbed Solectria Force) on 220V, delta - I'm running with a DMOC445.

BTW, I've got a spare gearbox that fits the AC24, as well as an ACgtx20 that I'd like to get rid of (has the adapter for the AC24...)

Oh - and FYI - you can FedEx AC24s... I've done it before for $80, and they packaged it for me in foam.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It seems to me you could use one of the C-face motors as a template to design a new mounting plate, no?

:DYEP. Could also just wing it with a caliper and a lathe. The machining is the easy part.:)

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
In order to not violate the terms of service here I am intentionally not discussing the sale of stuff in this thread. Send me a PM and I will give you the same price that I am giving everyone else, save the one lucky SOB who bought a motor + gearbox from me while I was still in MA before I knew they were actually desirable :D

I will say that all of the motors + gearbox are spoken for.

otedawg: if you have spare AT1200 gearboxes that's what those orphaned motors with the helical gear mate to. I am selling those motors for just a bit over scrap value.

As for shipping the C-face motors, the boxes they are in say they weigh 97#, which is heavier than what standard FedEx will allow, IIRC. Or maybe it is UPS that has a strict limit of 70# for a non-freight package?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've got over a hundred of these motors and plan on scrapping half. Getting scrap quotes today. PM me if you want to buy some a little higher than scrap price.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
For what it is worth, I looked at these motor/controllers 4 years ago when I was evaluating motors/controllers for my conversion. I exchanged several emails with Beth at Azure on them. They were fairly popular for Chevy/Geo Metro conversions then, should be able to find some on the evalbum.

At that time the minimum operating voltage was 144V for the delta connected motors, but Beth said they didn't perform well at 144V and strongly recommended 156V. I generated torque-VEHICLE speed curves for both the delta and wye versions with recommended voltages and estimated acceleration time to 60 mph for my Suzuki Swift. The delta was a dog, the wye ok, but not as good as the (later) AC50 from HPEVS - which Jeffrey considers a dog, so no wonder he practically gave away the first Azure. :D

The wye version has less torque at the lower end than the AC50/Curtis 1238-7501 with nominal 115V pack (66 verses 90 ft-lb - 106 ft-lb with 1238-7601 controller), but holds peak torque to higher rpm due to the higher voltage (53 versus 40 ft-lb at 6k rpm), so it had a bit better acceleration at speeds over 55 mph (at least on paper), but not much, and it didn't make up for the lower acceleration at lower speeds. They were also quite expensive, so I purchased one of the first 10 AC50s made.

The above was with the car's transmission. With the 1200 gear box they are both dogs imo. The Swift is about 2260 lb. They would work well in a lighter vehicle. Anyone really interested might contact people with one of these in a car on the evalbum to get actual performance in a vehicle.

Torque speed curves from Azure documentation 4 years ago:
AC24LS t-spd.jpg

·
Registered
130 Posts
tomofreno,
I've got one of those type cars. It's not great, but at 156V, it'll get you around town.

My setup:
AC24
AT1200
Geo Metro 4D

I average 320Wh/Mi, and on a 156V 100AH pack, my range to 80%DOD was 45Mi. Acceleration is okay with one person in the car - 0-60 in 25sec, with 20-45 in 8ish sec. Send any questions my way.

Otedawg

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
tomofreno,
I've got one of those type cars. It's not great, but at 156V, it'll get you around town.

My setup:
AC24
AT1200
Geo Metro 4D

I average 320Wh/Mi, and on a 156V 100AH pack, my range to 80%DOD was 45Mi. Acceleration is okay with one person in the car - 0-60 in 25sec, with 20-45 in 8ish sec. Send any questions my way.

Otedawg
Thanks for the data! I thought I estimated 0 to 60 mph at 20-some sec, but wasn't sure so didn't say. For comparison my Swift does 0 to 60 mph in 16 sec, and used about 216 Wh/mile from the wall over the first two years (EKM meter at input top charger). Looks like it will be closer to 211 over this past year. I would guess ave speed is probably around high 40's - about half is 50 to 65 mph, other half 30 to 40 mph. What matters of course is if the car suits you.

Another option for those who desire more speed is 2 of the Azure motors - would give about 133 ft-lb peak and and 106 ft-lb at 6k rpm.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Remotecontact

Why do you state in the eBay auction that the motors are capable of 70kW? I understood they were known to handle 40kW, with less nominal power, around 30kW with decent air flow for cooling.

Can anyone correct one of us please?

Also, shame you can't offer international shipping, those are very nice motors!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Remotecontact

Why do you state in the eBay auction that the motors are capable of 70kW? I understood they were known to handle 40kW, with less nominal power, around 30kW with decent air flow for cooling.

Can anyone correct one of us please?

Also, shame you can't offer international shipping, those are very nice motors!
I say 70kw because I've pulled 70kw from one of them on a Curtis controller. Send me a PM, shipping internationally is not going to be cheap.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Hey everybody, got tired of replying to posts so just check out the ebay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160931785345
Holy mackerel... I should have listed my same AC24LS motors on ebay, judging by the number of sales you've had (11 in 3 days) and that you are getting $200 each for them!

However, I wonder if the brisk sales are the result of people mistakenly assuming this motor has shaft bearings in both end bells? Has anyone on ebay asked you about that?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
However, I wonder if the brisk sales are the result of people mistakenly assuming this motor has shaft bearings in both end bells? Has anyone on ebay asked you about that?
Well, TigerNut did ask the question about three posts ago.

I'd sure like to know the answer too; it affects the usefulness of the motors somewhat.

I suppose that at $200, (edit: really $300 with shipping) some may be thinking "how hard can it be?" (to figure out some sort of bearing / support or to copy the C-face metalwork). The custom metalwork could easily double the cost of the motor, and delay their use, but it only takes one enterprising person to figure it out and make the information public to make these a good deal (not a great deal, as they first seem).

There is the risk that no-one will publish this information, so then they are back to scrap value, plus shipping and hassle.

Tesseract: maybe you're just too darned honest? :cool: (Just kidding, obviously). Then again, if you or anyone else figures out a good solution and publishes it, then you should be able to sell your motors for a fair bit more than $200, and nobody has to say the "s" word again. And honesty will have been the best policy, in financial as well as moral terms.

This AEVA post indicates that RemoteContact is a college student way over his head purchasing these; I don't think he's out to scam anyone, just to pay off his debt. (Though Coulomb calculates 100 x $200... wow :eek: )

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Well, TigerNut did ask the question about three posts ago.
Yep, but as this question - among others - has yet to be answered I asked it again to emphasize that it is still pertinent/relevant to the discussion at hand.

I suppose that at $200, (edit: really $300 with shipping) some may be thinking "how hard can it be?" (to figure out some sort of bearing / support or to copy the C-face metalwork)....
That was my thought as well, as I also received (7) of the C-face motors so I could easily borrow one to map out a new end bell for those motors without the drive end bearing needed for "standalone" use. I may yet do this as I still have (5) of the latter motors in stock after a potential sale fell through. Who knows, maybe all those people that buy RemoteContact's motors will end up buying end bells from me... :p

There is the risk that no-one will publish this information, so then they are back to scrap value, plus shipping and hassle.
Yep, but scrap value is fairly high - approximately $60 per motor in my area, with over half of that coming from the cable assembly alone! - while the relative "effort" required to scrap them is very low. Once you go to the trouble to list the motors on ebay, answer questions about them, pay all the fees, box them up so they will survive transit, deal with the inevitable complaints about the one that UPS allowed to fall off a conveyor belt, etc., making anything less than $100 on top of the scrap value seems kind of pointless.

Tesseract: maybe you're just too darned honest? :cool: (Just kidding, obviously)....
I sometimes wonder that myself... especially when I see the likes of PZigouras hocking his fake motor controllers on ebay.

This AEVA post indicates that RemoteContact is a college student way over his head purchasing these; I don't think he's out to scam anyone, just to pay off his debt. (Though Coulomb calculates 100 x $200... wow :eek: )
Oh, I'm not suggesting he is trying to scam anyone and, in fact, I wish him well with his venture. My main motivation for wanting him to answer the various questions posed to him on this page of the thread are purely selfish - if this motor really can take 70kW and people really are willing to pay $200 each for them on ebay then that is what I am going to list my remaining (5) for... :D

41 - 60 of 223 Posts