DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Morning,

I am looking for some global wisdom from folks who own, maintain and still drive their Azure Dynamics Transit Connect mini vans.

Since purchasing our Azure Transit Connect a little over a year ago for my local service business, I have had the luck to drop the battery pack to manually top balance one half of the pack (ESS1) after the main contactors welded themselves shut after returning back to our shop after a service call. All four main contactors have been replaced. The 12VDC battery was also recently replaced when the Azure diagnostic software revealed the 12VDC bus was occasionally dipping to 10VDC which triggered three DTC codes whenever the van was shifted into reverse. Worked fine in drive. Battery voltage when the van is turned off is 12.5VDC and 14.6VDC when running.

I am convinced that there is something else going here (other than being an orphaned AZD) which is causing the van to draw excessive current when accelerating. Pulling onto a freeway onramp will easily draw 130-140A from pack which exceeds the contactors 120A rating.

I had the opportunity to test drive another AZD Transit three years ago and I remember the van feeling more spirited and not so whiney. It was a 2012 verses my 2011.

So what has been your experience with your Transit Connect? Does your AZD transit Connect sound like mine in the video? I know these vehicles are orphaned along time ago but trying to get the most of what I have and perhaps help others in the process.

The software on both BMS modules, DMOC, and VCU have been flashed to the MY 2012 versions.

Thanks for your input.

https://youtu.be/AVvjq5SMUdo

Eric

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and good job on working through the bugs and keeping an old EV running. Those are the perfect vehicle: an EV truck that can carry stuff.

My first thoughts are that the 120 Amp current rating of the contactors is too low for EV operation. Higher rated contactors are available these days and may provide more margin for operation.

Is the vehicle heavily loaded with tools and equipment?

140 Amps doesn't seem unreasonable for acceleration.

Is that the speedometer in the instrument panel--is it stuck?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I appreciate your input. You're right. The perfect vehicle in my case--An EV that can carry stuff. The van is generally loaded with my tools and materials. Testing was performed when the van was unloaded. Even with a background in electronics and shade-tree ICE repair the AZD Transit has been a lesson in EV tech and patience.

Yes, I agree the contactors, standard Panasonic AEV14012's, are the nearly the same ones used in the gen 2 Toyota Prius, are underrated. I have been debating designing a drop-in contactor replacement kit for the transit that has higher current rating and equal or higher isolation rating (for safety and so not to throw isolation DTC's) but don't want to overlook something in the powertrain. I'm afraid to floor the accelerator so I keep the regen low and torque low in software -- but even when I had the torque set to high, the van seems not as spirited as the MY2012 I drove a while back on Long Island.

Is there anyone in the Northeast U.S. that has a working AZD Transit that I could simply take for a spin and compare? Will be willing to travel -- in my e-golf.

Eugene from Eugene's Green Garage in Bridgeport, CT and Dave out in California have been a tremendous help. Both have been very patient with me and a great resource and sounding wall when I wanted to drive this van into a pond in the times when the vehicle turns into more of a a project car then a work vehicle. Eugene currently has a MY2102 in his shop but t is not running due to bad cells in the pack.

The gauge on the left is the range indicator -- which is reading a little higher in our twenty degree New England climate since I have it set to "basic range estimate" in the AZD software.

Plug for Eugene: If anyone have any working cells for an AZD Connect, contact Eugene. He can be found by searching for "Eugene's Green Garage, Bridgeport, CT"

Thanks again,
Eric

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yes, I agree the contactors, standard Panasonic AEV14012's,
120A is a continuous rating.

If you have an older e-golf (24kWh) you'll have the same contacters inside ;)

Max. carring current:
120A Continuity
225A 3 min.
400A 30 sec. (38mm2 wire)

welded contacters occur when disengaging under load / closing without precharge. A bigger contacter will not fix that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts