DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
they are Yellow TS that Winston took over. Winston changed to Black for thier batteries.
my Guess it these have been sitting for a while, so the 3% discharge will effect the first charge voltage.
I am tempted to get the 1000AH @$850 per cell. that is a little less than double what my 100AH cost me in 2005.
if the one cell checks out, expect to use 4 for my House batteries, and see what I have to do about a battery box for 115 cells.

·
Registered
739 Posts
bj,
Please come back and let us know how it goes with the single cell. I would love to see a big conversion with 115 of those 1000AH cells. That would be absolutely ridiculous.
take care
It is a 30 ft converted bus, 250KW electric and next year plan to put four 250KW on.
on level the Motor coach takes about ~96KW @60 mph.
we have 30-50% grades here. Mountain passes are 5-10 miles of 15% grade.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
my Guess it these have been sitting for a while, so the 3% discharge will effect the first charge voltage.
There is no measurable self discharge with these cells. The datasheets from all the vendors say <3% and that is not a lie as zero is less than 3%. Unless the cell has been used since it was manufactured it will be sitting at around 3.30 volts depending on the temperature. This will be somewhere between 50 and 55% state of charge. I don't see any evidence of self discharge in the almost 6 months my batteries have been sitting since I cycle tested them for capacity.

·
Registered
739 Posts
There is no measurable self discharge with these cells. The datasheets from all the vendors say <3% and that is not a lie as zero is less than 3%. Unless the cell has been used since it was manufactured it will be sitting at around 3.30 volts depending on the temperature. This will be somewhere between 50 and 55% state of charge. I don't see any evidence of self discharge in the almost 6 months my batteries have been sitting since I cycle tested them for capacity.
due to the narrow voltage band, till you hit the 80% knee.
the only way to evaluate is charge till you reach the 0.5C rate.

·
Registered
312 Posts
They only have small quantities of most the sizes, except 90AH I think. I wonder if they will receive Sinopoly cells or if they are just selling off before going under.
Yes, I saw that too. I emailed them a week ago about larger quantities but have not heard back. They are in Harbor City which is less than 30 minutes from where I live so I am tempted to call them and/or visit. I need 32 or 36 100Ahr batteries but the website only shows 12 or 14 available. My plans call for a Phase 2 addition of another 36 batteries so I want to do business with a company that will be around for at least a year. LOL

I had never heard of the name, Balqon, until I went to an EV show at the LA Convention Center. On prominent display, in one of the booths facing the entrance was a big rig tractor. Apparently it was part of a large conversion they did for the Port of Los Angeles. That was several weeks before I saw the ad for their store so I missed the opportunity then to talk to a person.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone dealt with Balqon? It appears they recently began an effort to distribute cells directly to consumers at very competitive prices. What's everyone's take on this?

http://balqon.com/store.php#ecwid:category=2736691&mode=category&offset=0&sort=priceAsc
It seems like they just installed 1.1 Mwhr system at University of Riverside and got contract for another 2 MW system for same university. Seems to me they are adding energy storage products to the electric truck line. They are publicly traded so seems reasonable

·
Administrator
1,450 Posts
Just to clear things up here as there is a little bit of misinformation.

Thundersky split into Winston and Sinopoly.

Winston continue to make yellow cells.

Sinopoly now make black cells (the 60AH (B) cell is green)

Balqon is a reseller for Winston cells.

Balqon sounds like an evil company from Austin Powers.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
From which site? I see 260Ah, 400Ah, 700Ah, and 1000Ah cells on ebay and there are still cells found through the OP's post. I just verified right now.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/bigstevo112...hargeable_Batteries&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2562
Called them today, found out that after success at University of Riverside, they seem to be taking this battery business more seriously, I heard more batteries like 60 ahr and 100 ahr are on their way. Also found out they are exclusive distributor of Winston batteries in North America. Sounded like company focused on EV truck business trying to get into battery storage business, like Tesla, Coda etc. I like the price though and they said the charge discharge 2 times before shipping any batteries.

1 - 20 of 218 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.