DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was wondering what the basic common components to all EV conversions.

So far I can think of:
- Motor
- Controler
- Batteries
- Battery ''Box''
- Adapter plate (motor to transmition)
- brake systems (pump for power braking)

A list of things to consider while designing/converting a car/truck would be nice

Thank you
Andre

·
Registered
320 Posts
The four big ticket items in an EV conversion are the motor, the controller, the batteries, and the battery charger. Then there is all the bits and pieces required to adapt those to the vehicle and to make them work together and you also need to consider bits required to make the vehicle systems work that were dependant on the ICE. So we have adaptor plates and couplings to connect the motor to the gearbox and motor mounts, battery racks, and boxes. The systems required to tie the main electrical components together include your high voltage cabling, contactors, circuit breakers, fuses, and connectors then there is the low voltage relays for you interlocks and ignition switch etc. The systems that were dependant on the ICE include the heater/air conditioning, power steering, vacuum for the brake assist, and charging for the accessory battery. Your choices on how to make those systems independant will determine the components required.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I am trying to figure out everything I'll have to do during the year so that I can finish in time.
I have a question about part availability as well, are there parts that typicaly take a while to order/ship?

Thanks again for the help

Andre

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you're talking about a typical EV conversion with a DC series motor and flooded lead acid batteries aside from the parts you have to have specially made (such as battery racks etc) most of the bits seem to be available off the shelf. The exception to this for me was the controller. You will have a bit of a wait if you buy a Zilla controller. Even heavy items such as the motor shipped by air and so didn't spend long in transit. You pay for the convenience though. Around 25% of my total conversion cost is shipping and around 10% is tax but I am a long way from the source of my components.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts