DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so after years of kicking around the idea I'm finally taking the plunge into converting my '72 Triumph Gt6 over to electric.

I've managed to gain most of the basics from forums like this but I still had a couple questions. The motor im using to begin with is a 96v 200amp dc motor. I've been trying to figure out what kind of controller I would need. Several I've seen list continuous amperage as 140 etc..but if the motor is a 200amp then I'm short changing myself correct? I assume having a larger controller wouldn't be a problem but thats just an assumption on my part (say a 400amp controller would i assume peak at 400amp and ride continuous at half?).

Any guidance to other discussions along these lines or straight-up knowledge would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
The controller current rating is just a limit - that much current won't flow unless you have enough battery voltage, the right motor, and you push the pedal far enough. The controller current rating can be higher than you need (or need to pay for), but it can't be too high.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
By the way, since the GT6 is relatively rare, and is just a hardtop 6-cylinder Spitfire, you should (if you haven't already) search this forum for Spitfire projects - there have been several, and there's lots of good information... although that won't really help you specifically with the controller question.

·
Registered
541 Posts
How big(diameter and weight) is your motor? I would look at a 1000A controller in that car if you want to have fun.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts