DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
i have seen the on blue cars web site ..https://bluecars.nz/shop/new-53-ah-ncm-battery-module/ try this ..cheers fish
While they call this a "module", it's actually just a single cell - no housing, mounting, or BMS provisions.

Someone might recognize this cell from some application, although the listing shows only a rendering, not an actual photograph.

An entire pack of a useful size would be a substantial expense. The listed price ($106 each in a useful quantity) corresponds to $538/kWh. For comparison, that means a 60 kWh set (without any of the required wiring components) would cost about $32,000; a complete new Chevrolet Bolt pack of the same capacity - complete with interconnections, BMS provisions, cooling components, contactor and fuses, and a housing - can be purchased at retail from a GM dealer for about $13,000.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While they call this a "module", it's actually just a single cell - no housing, mounting, or BMS provisions.

Someone might recognize this cell from some application, although the listing shows only a rendering, not an actual photograph.

An entire pack of a useful size would be a substantial expense. The listed price ($106 each in a useful quantity) corresponds to $538/kWh. For comparison, that means a 60 kWh set (without any of the required wiring components) would cost about $32,000; a complete new Chevrolet Bolt pack of the same capacity - complete with interconnections, BMS provisions, cooling components, contactor and fuses, and a housing - can be purchased at retail from a GM dealer for about $13,000.
well we can forget all about that then cheers thanks for the info ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

bluecars just mailed me and said..... If you want to achieve the same voltage as the original Leaf pack, you would need 96 NCM53 cells. You would have 53 Ahr capacity, so slightly less than the 65 Ahr of a new Leaf pack but higher than most used Leaf packs available on the second hand market. For my own project I'm considering running on reduced voltage as the Citroen does not need as much power as the Leaf. You could consider the same for your Beetle.and they would only be 87.36kg where as leaf batteries weigh 182kg ....

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
bluecars just mailed me and said..... If you want to achieve the same voltage as the original Leaf pack, you would need 96 NCM53 cells.
Yes, these are NCM cells, like other modern EVs. To get the same voltage you need the same number of cells in series, which is 96 (so 360 volts nominal) for most production EVs (including all current Teslas, the Nissan Leaf, the Chevrolet Bolt, etc).

·
Registered
127 Posts
You could consider the same for your Beetle.and they would only be 87.36kg where as leaf batteries weigh 182kg ....
not sure where you got this number from, but if 182kg leaf pack includes bms and interconnects/packaging etc., don't forget to account that in your own bluecars pack too! I'm guessing the 87kg for bluecar is only cell right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not sure where you got this number from, but if 182kg leaf pack includes bms and interconnects/packaging etc., don't forget to account that in your own bluecars pack too! I'm guessing the 87kg for bluecar is only cell right?
each of the leaf modules is 3.8kg x 48=182.4kg the NCM 53 are 0.91kg x 96=87.36kg plus cheers fish

1 - 13 of 13 Posts