DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
The way you phrase the questions implies you haven't done much research and self-education yet on the topic.

For example, "how many batteries" is kind of silly from an engineer wannabee, as opposed to

what chemistry types?

how much Ah capacity per cell?

What total voltage ranges?

How about doing some homework first, before asking experts on the internet to hold your hand and walk you through all the 101-level survey topics?

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Lots of motors are good; the relevant question is what motor would be good to meet your requirements. If you don't know - or can't express - your requirements, there's no point in asking the question.

As part of an engineering education, if you learn nothing about anything electrical, but learn the importance of understanding requirements, then the project will have been worthwhile.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How about doing some homework first, before asking experts on the internet to hold your hand and walk you through all the 101-level survey topics?
This makes me wonder... do we have an EV battery basics primer on this site? Especially in the context of DIY? Essentially, chemistry break downs, cell formats, configurations (parallel versus series), fusing, etc.?

Many of the other sections have stickied posts (such as choosing forklift motors), so it might make sense for the battery section. Especially because I think (I hope) most of us are moving past the idea of using PbA batteries, and lithium batteries are far more available, diverse, and specific in their needs.

·
Super Moderator
1,342 Posts
This makes me wonder... do we have an EV battery basics primer on this site? Especially in the context of DIY?
I tried to collect information to write a modern version about a year ago, telling people the current state of affairs of DIY EVs, but, I partially lost interest after a handful of people complained and raged that this was impossible and I was just trying to push my personal opinion on others.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
This makes me wonder... do we have an EV battery basics primer on this site? Especially in the context of DIY? Essentially, chemistry break downs, cell formats, configurations (parallel versus series), fusing, etc.?
Long ago, there was an attempt to build a collection of this sort of reference material, as the DIY EV Wiki. The effort was well-intentioned, but it is largely a failure because members either didn't understand or refuse to follow the intended design, which was to post material in the EV Information forum ("The DIY Electric Car Wiki starts here.") and discuss it in the DIY Wiki Discussion ("Planning and discussion for what goes on the wiki"). It is also difficult to keep a reference like this current.

Perhaps the original poster in this thread could have a look in the Wiki and see if it is useful.

Many of the other sections have stickied posts (such as choosing forklift motors), so it might make sense for the battery section. Especially because I think (I hope) most of us are moving past the idea of using PbA batteries, and lithium batteries are far more available, diverse, and specific in their needs.
You can try, but most people who post very basic questions (and even some people who have converted vehicles) really just need to read the Wikipedia page for Lithium-ion battery to cover much of that better than what is likely to be done here. I think this forum should limit this sort of reference to information very specific to selecting and using cells or modules in a DIY conversion, rather than trying to explain chemistries.

Perhaps the original poster in this thread could read that Wikipedia page and ask a more specific question based on the increased understanding which would hopefully result.

The forklift motor thread illustrates what happens to these "stickies"... they become endless strings of people asking for build assistance, without contributing to a reference information source at all.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Unfortunately, the original poster edited all of the content out of his post, instead of participating in the discussion. I understand the embarrassment, but that leaves the rest of the posts without context, so did anyone save the original? It asked essentially how many batteries should be used, and what a good motor would be.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I tried to collect information to write a modern version about a year ago, telling people the current state of affairs of DIY EVs, but, I partially lost interest after a handful of people complained and raged that this was impossible and I was just trying to push my personal opinion on others.
Yes, it could be a bit hard to do without proper structure and vetting. As brian_ noted, a wiki is probably a more appropriate format.

·
Super Moderator
1,342 Posts
Yes, it could be a bit hard to do without proper structure and vetting. As brian_ noted, a wiki is probably a more appropriate format.
Wikis are great when maintained.

When the answer is always "Go check the wiki, it's up to date", then it gets used as a resource.

As soon as the wiki becomes outdated, or people have the feeling that it's outdated, then they'll come ask the same questions anyway.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
For best results, you only get out what you put in
Absolutely, which is the point of this discussion. Do you think we can get anyone like the OP of this thread to read a few thousand words about how he should ask questions, and to do a few hours of serious reading, before asking a rational question instead of "how many batteries should I use"? It would be nice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts