DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you found to be the best source for used batteries?

In my area, most of the junkyards don't seem to touch any newer cars, and certainly nothing electric or hybrid. This has left me primarily searching ebay for batteries and motors.

I know of the major players in terms of used batteries (EV West, Thunderstruck, EVTV) but I was wondering if anyone has advice on other sources that might be a bit cheaper, whether because they don't know what they have, they don't want to deal with it, or something else.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Days are over when the guy get a wrecked EV and doesn't know its value

And that value's gone up and up.

Probably best to just call in to the obvious sources just like you're an owner looking for a replacement secondhand.

Price is what it is, gotta pay to play.

New LFP is about $400 per kWh then delivery can be $150+

just for comparison.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Salvage auction might work for you, but beware of the pitfalls.

I bought a salvage 2015 Leaf in a copart auction in 2016 (through a copart sanctioned broker). It had done 12k miles. It cost $6k including fees and $1k to transport to NH from GA. I only repurposed the battery pack, but I dismantled it completely (with airtools it took me the best part of the labor day long weekend ) and sold most of the parts on ebay (including motor, doors, seats, interior panels, radiator, a/c, BMS, brakes, harnesses). It took almost 2 years until I just about recovered my outlay and stopped selling. The big pieces took the longest, hence occupied storage the entire time.

I will never it do it again. The dismantling was OK -dealing on ebay + shipping was the painful bit.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Every time an electric car is wrecked, a project gets its wings. You either buy the wreck, or you pay the person who took it apart. These days, running, driving Leafs in good shape are going for $6-8k pretty easily (at least in SoCal).

I paid under $6k for my Leaf wreck last year, and I'm using the batteries, motor, gearbox, inverter, contactors, fuses, service disconnect, wiring harness bits, and hopefully the HVAC stuff as well. It took me a day to get rid of the chassis, 'cause I paid someone to take it away. I basically paid for the battery and motor and got a bunch of stuff for the cost of ripping the car apart myself.

Not all batteries are built the same, but it's pretty easy to find batteries for $100-200/kW.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts