DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Battery Box Materials

5016 Views 28 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Jeep Man
I'm about to build some battery boxes for my Leaf batteries.

Is there a reason I should build them in steel, or can I use hard plastics, if that's easier?

I have someone who makes marine tanks that might be able to make something for me that's weatherproof.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
8,530 Posts
There are multiple kinds of foam insulation used for buildings. EPS and XPS probably closer qualify as "styrofoam." I believe they're as flammable as the regular packaging styrofoam. Polyiso is non-styrene based kind, supposed to have better flame retarding properties.
EPS (expanded polystyrene) and XPS (extruded polystyrene) are literally polystyrene foam; Styrofoam is a registered trademark of Dupont (formerly Dow Chemical) for their closed-cell XPS.

The polystyrene foam used for packaging is EPS, and not Styrofoam... but yes, any polystyrene foam is flammable.

"Polyiso" would presumably be polyisocyanurate, which is flammable but doesn't spread flame as fast as polystyrene foam; however, it produces lots of toxic smoke.

· Registered
5,397 Posts
That's our Brian 😂

He is both an encyclopedia of knowledge, as well as keeper of the EV fossil record, it seems, so, even though he can burrow subcutaneous on you on the pedantry, it's usually tolerable getting shat upon by him now and then cuz he can answer almost anything here or dig it up.

To wit, SAE blah blah blah for overhead bus charging.

· Registered
8,530 Posts
That "cyan" in your magic foam, Brian, is not a colorant, but cyanide. So, even though your foam lights off at a higher temperature, when it does (say by little lithium rockets), you've built yourself a gas chamber vs an EV.
I know that - I didn't say anything about colour, I'm the one who pointed out the toxicity, and I didn't call isocyanurate foam "magic". "My foam"? I wouldn't use it. Did you intend to address that comment to cricketo?

Or...
brian_: burning isocyanurate foam produces toxic smoke
remy_martian: cyan blah blah blah burning isocyanurate foam produces toxic gas

· Registered
102 Posts
Hi all on this sorta mean and kinda' off OP's topic thread.

I'm about to convert my baltic-birtch plywood prototype battery box to steel / aluminum / unicorn fingernails / something else and despite all the yacking, you guys seem to have some knowledge of how to actually make one of these for a short production run.

Here's my link to JeepForum to get you to what I'm doing and where I'm at: Jeep CJ-7 EV Conversion the title of the thread is: Jeep CJ-7 EV Conversion.

If you guys are interested, reply and I'll start asking questions.

I would start a new thread but there's not way to 'forward/reply-to-all' from one related thread to a new one on a similar topic, so, long way of apologizing in advance for hijacking this thread that seems to have died.

THANKS,
Patrick

21 - 29 of 29 Posts