DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a 7-pack design (4 in back, 3 in front), and I need to come up with a way to mount and secure the Tesla packs. While I definitely want to be safe and secure in mounting, and leave room for cooling and BMS connects, I'm not nuts about spending (e.g.) $2900 for two battery boxes.

Does anyone know of any open-source DIY options for mounting and securing the Tesla 5.6kWh packs? Any suggestions for how to proceed?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, that's why I'm posting on a DIY forum. I'm looking for advice on designs, best practices, or materials. 8020 extruded? Plywood? Duct tape?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm working on a 7-pack design (4 in back, 3 in front), and I need to come up with a way to mount and secure the Tesla packs. While I definitely want to be safe and secure in mounting, and leave room for cooling and BMS connects, I'm not nuts about spending (e.g.) $2900 for two battery boxes.

Does anyone know of any open-source DIY options for mounting and securing the Tesla 5.6kWh packs? Any suggestions for how to proceed?

I’ve had a heck of a time sourcing the boxes. A couple false starts. Some friend of a friend who works at an EV shop who would do a side job etc. I had already prototyped with styrofoam and then 3/4 inch plywood and then 1/8 plywood panel. Current I’m working on the Fiverr app. ( think Etsy for engenders / web designers) after a couple false starts there I found e

Ive had the same struggles. Had a few people flake on design/fab. I’ve modeled in styrofoam then 3/4 ply and then 1/8 ply panel. Currently I’m using the Fiverr app ( think Etsy for freelance design) afrer a couple false starts I found this guy electro_cad who for 40 bucks is creating a 3 d model in solid works that I will use to have 3/16 aluminum (5052) lazer cut. I will end up doing all the welding. Never done aluminum welding but have YouTube lol….

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive had the same struggles. Had a few people flake on design/fab. I’ve modeled in styrofoam then 3/4 ply and then 1/8 ply panel. Currently I’m using the Fiverr app ( think Etsy for freelance design) afrer a couple false starts I found this guy electro_cad who for 40 bucks is creating a 3 d model in solid works that I will use to have 3/16 aluminum (5052) lazer cut. I will end up doing all the welding. Never done aluminum welding but have YouTube lol….
Other than the little flimsy plastic railings on the side of the packs, is there any other way to secure these? Like, is there a through-hole mounting point or something?

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Other than the little flimsy plastic railings on the side of the packs, is there any other way to secure these? Like, is there a through-hole mounting point or something?
The Tesla Model S/X modules are designed to be mounted by the flanges on the edges, which are not flimsy. There is no other way to secure them properly, and the clear covers are not intended to be structural.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My version has metal rails but agree that rails will do the trick. I’m planning on rail above and below with tight tolerance. Tapped screws on either end to pinch tight and prevent sliding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The Tesla Model S/X modules are designed to be mounted by the flanges on the edges, which are not flimsy. There is no other way to secure them properly, and the clear covers are not intended to be structural.
Thanks! This is actually super helpful info! When you say that the plastic envelope is not structural, I assume that means I should not just stack the packs on top of eachother, but instead actually provide railings for the flanges to rest on properly, correct?

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
When you say that the plastic envelope is not structural, I assume that means I should just stack the packs on top of eachother, but instead actually provide railings for the flanges to rest on properly, correct?
Correct - you "should not just stack the packs on top of each other, but instead actually provide railings for the flanges to rest on properly".

·
Registered
43 Posts

How about this?
1" angle and flat iron, 16ga aluminum walls, aluminum angle to create slots for module flange. 37"x31".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Penetrations for cooling charger, HV cables to contractor, charging plug , bms wire bundle and coolant lines to charger…

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I was thinking/designing my project I enjoyed seeing what other people did with Tesla modules. I got a few ideas of what I might do, and a few of what I shouldn't do.

Here's a couple of YouTube videos that chronicle builds using Tesla modules. They're both series and these are just samples.
I Removed My Engine, There's No Turning Back! - Electric Camper Build Ep 2 - YouTube
DRIVING our TESLA powered VW T3 Electric van (#EVWT 32) - YouTube

What I learned building my car; everything fits on paper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts