DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a battery box from 1/8" aluminum (suitably strengthened) for the 2-3 volt packs that will be going in it. The question is, do I need a skid plate or am I just being paranoid?

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
How close to the ground will the bottom of the box be? Is it the lowest thing on vehicle? If you high-centre the truck, will the box be against the ground?

If it isn't in a particularly vulnerable position, maybe it doesn't need much protection. If the Volt modules are upright (in their usual orientation) and mounted on the stock base plates, they have some protection from whatever might penetrate the box.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It will be at least 300mm above the ground. The lowest point is the the rear suspension arms at about 160mm (same for any T4 van) and the same in the front for the sub frame. I had thought to possibly make a thin stainless "baking pan" to put up around the box.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Volt mounting plate is reinforced with high strength steel. Also, it's very convenient for mounting the modules. I cut mine to sizes I wanted and welded them together. Just don't try to drill thru the reinforcement channels!

·
Registered
532 Posts
An aluminum battery box is useless in the even of a fire.

A shield is useful for road object damage. Tesla added a titanium piece after some piercings of their aluminum box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts