DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've been driving a converted geo metro with a 96V system (16 6volt deep cycle golf cart batteries) that someone else did the work on. I'm learning about the car as I drive it, but in two months it's broken down on me twice. I want to buy a separate charger than the onboard 96V kelley charger. I have to use a charger at my dad's where I work on it that pulls less current than the Kelley one which has already melted a 15amp outlet cover a little bit and he's understandably hesistant to let me charge it there.

I'm wondering what type I should buy although I'm leaning towards one I can choose between 6 and 12 volts as sometimes I have to bring up a single battery that's been giving me issues. Anyone have any ideas?

I was looking at this one - http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SSC-1000A-SpeedCharge-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B0009IBJE4/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1390446560&sr=1-4&keywords=auto+battery+charger since it has 2/6/10 amp charging rates and looks to have good reviews.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
....a 96V system (16 6volt deep cycle golf cart batteries).........
I'm leaning towards one I can choose between 6 and 12 volts ...........
I was looking at this one - http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SSC-1000A-SpeedCharge-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B0009IBJE4/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1390446560&sr=1-4&keywords=auto+battery+charger
That charger does not have 6V option from what I can see :confused:

And, a typical 6V GC battery may be like 180Ah. So if you use that charger at 10A it will take 18 hours to charge a pair of the 6V batteries. Then times 8 to do all 16. That would be a solid 6 days of continuous charging :( There are better options.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi all,
I've been driving a converted geo metro with a 96V system (16 6volt deep cycle golf cart batteries) that someone else did the work on. I'm learning about the car as I drive it, but in two months it's broken down on me twice. I want to buy a separate charger than the onboard 96V kelley charger. I have to use a charger at my dad's where I work on it that pulls less current than the Kelley one which has already melted a 15amp outlet cover a little bit and he's understandably hesistant to let me charge it there.

I'm wondering what type I should buy although I'm leaning towards one I can choose between 6 and 12 volts as sometimes I have to bring up a single battery that's been giving me issues. Anyone have any ideas?

I was looking at this one - http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SSC-1000A-SpeedCharge-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B0009IBJE4/ref=sr_1_4? s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1390446560&sr=1-4&keywords=auto+battery+charger since it has 2/6/10 amp charging rates and looks to have good reviews.
I purchased eight similar 12volt chargers off eBay for $15/ea. Wired one to each battery on my 96volt system and used it for over 3 years. It would easily recharge overnight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts