DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I built my Mazda B2000 several yeras ago. For batteries I originally had US Battery 232's, then two years ago I went with Trojan T105's with the universal post. I have a a very difficult time keeping battery terminals cool enough. At first I put on the 1" x 1/16" copper straps per Mike Browns book. Then I made up cables using conventional automotive battery clamps. I am still melting terminals. I would like to find out what everyone else is using so I can drive it more without fear of melting stuff! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
770 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
The only time I ever had a batt post melt was when I inadvertently didn't tighten the nut enough.

When I first did my conversion at the end of 99 I was sold lugs, by a company that I figured knew what they were doing, that the hole in the lug was bigger than the threaded post.

Didn't have problem because of it but didn't like the way over time the lead distorted and gradually mashed up into the gap.

I made some copper rings to fit snugly into the gap and flush with the top of the lug.
Ran them for many years pulling some serious amps on the many hills around here with no problems.
Nuts seamed to stay tight longer too.

I used 2/0 cable and crimped the lugs on with a hydraulic hose crimper.

Need some pictures of your setup and what voltage etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! It is 2/0 cable connecting everything, and all crimps were done with a borrowed manual crimped, some of the ends remain stone cold. But others are not, The setup is 24 T105s for 144 volts, Warp 9 with Soliton jr, controller, I have to say that it is fun to drive otherwise!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Thanks for the info! It is 2/0 cable connecting everything, and all crimps were done with a borrowed manual crimped, some of the ends remain stone cold. But others are not, The setup is 24 T105s for 144 volts, Warp 9 with Soliton jr, controller, I have to say that it is fun to drive otherwise!
Have you checked for bad cell in the batteries that get hot?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for the replies guys! The cells look clear, not cloudy. The batteries have not been checked individually. I will try to locate a tester. I will also look into getting cables made with 5/16" lugs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts