DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Bombardier NEV (6 batteries-12volt) or 72 volts. Since I didn't want to bite the bullitt ($1300 for Trojans) I decided to opt for a deep cycle sealed marine marine group 24. The total was $400.00. I get 7 km per charge. This gets me to church or Walmart. Then an 8hr. charge. Its ok for now, but if gas gets to $8/gal. it may be my only means of trans portation. Is lithium in play yet? What gives you the most bang for your buck nowdays?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Welcome,

Poke around a bit - most folks agree that lithium has definitely arrived, specifically, LiFePO4 (lithium iron phosphate) - large format or prismatic cells. These are the easiest to work with for NEV's or regular sized vehicles. Typical manufacturers are Thundersky (now Winston Batteries I think) or CALB. You have to pay attention to charging but the improvement in performance the last few years is pretty remarkable.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
if the claimed cycle life for the LiFePO4 holds true (dependent on not over or under charging) then the cost per mile over the life of the cells should be significantly less than floodies at this point. Higher initial cost, but 4x-5x the life cycles....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.