DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the proper procedure for storing batteries? (when not regularly used, like over the winter)

I believe Lead Acid batteries should be kept fully charged
...& most Lithium chemistry batteries shouldn't.

I noticed that John commented in a thread recently:

"What you don't want to do, is store the packs uncycled at that high a SoC".
&
"Only charge to Full the day before you need to start cycling them again."

Any more specific info &/or comments would be helpful & appreciated :)

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
The value that I have seen most commonly is 80% SoC.

If storage is so long that self-discharge takes them very low (I have no idea how low that is) it would seem sensible to recharge them... again to 80%. A BMS is unlikely to effectively balance in a charge to 80%, and I'm sure that doesn't matter for a few cycles.

·
Registered
915 Posts
As you note totally varies based on chemistry.

WRT voltage levels, rather than one thread trying to confusedly cover them all, how about linking to one specific unit even if just as an example?

A key factor is temperature, lower is better right down to freezing range

and also, if you're talking for months and years, how often can someone check in on them with a voltmeter maybe top them up to ensure self-discharge does not bring V too low.

Which brings us to full isolation. Cells / batteries should not be connected to any circuitry that might be a parasitic load no matter how low.

That includes BMS, IMO do not buy units where it is not easy to disconnect / remove / replace the BMS.

The "do not let sit on the ground" or concrete has not been true for 8+ years, old wive's tale that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts