DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new...

I've been looking around western Canada for LiFePo4 battery suppliers. I know that Canev supplies them. I wonder if there are other known suppliers of Lithium batteries. One in Edmonton would be awesome, but just curious if there is a suppliers list complied somewhere.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If you want Thundersky Randy at CANEV is the best/cheapest source there is. I'm getting my Headways from an electric bike manufacturer in Ontario. http://www.moonriverev.com/ Good prices if you buy a large quantity. I haven't found anyone that sells CALB, and it would be very expensive compared to Randy's Thunderskys to bring them up from the USA (almost double per AH).

Later on I plan to expand my business and sell EV parts, but it'll be awhile before I bring in LiFePO4 (I'm in Calgary).

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
hmmm. . This hasn't been my understanding. (double the price) Randy sells T/S for $1.35 Cdn per Ah. There are several other options. When buying from the USA you can get T/S for US $1.25 Ah easy enough (perhaps a bit lower) You will have to pay to get them here, however there is no duty on Li batteries shipped to Canada if accompanied by a Country of Origin document. You will have the brokerage and taxes apply either way. At the end of the day I would say that it would be pretty close, perhaps a bit more, but not double. The other option is to have them shipped directly from China to Canada, avoiding some of the extra costs. Going this route, you can get them for a fair bit less than either of the above examples. FOB prices on T/S are in the 1.07 to 1.10 per Ah and Calb are as low as 1.12 to 1.15 per Ah. The difference with Calb is that you will likely pay a bit extra for connectors as they are not included in price.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
hmmm. . This hasn't been my understanding. (double the price) Randy sells T/S for $1.35 Cdn per Ah. There are several other options. When buying from the USA you can get T/S for US $1.25 Ah easy enough (perhaps a bit lower) You will have to pay to get them here, however there is no duty on Li batteries shipped to Canada if accompanied by a Country of Origin document. You will have the brokerage and taxes apply either way. At the end of the day I would say that it would be pretty close, perhaps a bit more, but not double. The other option is to have them shipped directly from China to Canada, avoiding some of the extra costs. Going this route, you can get them for a fair bit less than either of the above examples. FOB prices on T/S are in the 1.07 to 1.10 per Ah and Calb are as low as 1.12 to 1.15 per Ah. The difference with Calb is that you will likely pay a bit extra for connectors as they are not included in price.

Cheers,
Sorry if I wasn't clear CALB cells total cost came up as almost double vs TS from Randy (at the time 1.30 per AH) perhaps I just never found the right supplier of CALB cells. Shipping was drastically more expensive for a full pack of 180ah cells. I haven't been able to confirm Li cells made in china would be duty free coming from the USA, but based on previous experience I have my doubts.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Sorry if I wasn't clear CALB cells total cost came up as almost double vs TS from Randy (at the time 1.30 per AH) perhaps I just never found the right supplier of CALB cells. Shipping was drastically more expensive for a full pack of 180ah cells. I haven't been able to confirm Li cells made in china would be duty free coming from the USA, but based on previous experience I have my doubts.
No worries...that's why we're all here. To help each other out with our different experiences. We don't all go down the same route and get the same result. I've had a lot of help here that changed my thinking... As for the duty... I suspect they would charge it if the appropriate document was not included. Country of Origin is what they are after. That said, I do know one guy who said he paid it on shipment from USA and I know another chap who did not pay it on shipment from China.... lol

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
No worries...that's why we're all here. To help each other out with our different experiences. We don't all go down the same route and get the same result. I've had a lot of help here that changed my thinking... As for the duty... I suspect they would charge it if the appropriate document was not included. Country of Origin is what they are after. That said, I do know one guy who said he paid it on shipment from USA and I know another chap who did not pay it on shipment from China.... lol
Coming direct from China I think you would have better luck bringing them in duty free, you just need the right HS code classification. And that classification might not be "batteries" it might be something like "electric vehicle parts".

On the other hand I can tell you for sure that Evnetics products (Soliton1/JR) can be brought up duty free because they qualify for NAFTA. I would be happy to help anyone out with the documents required for this, as many US resellers aren't always familiar with NAFTA or have the required forms.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the ideas and input. I have never done a deal overseas like that. I will look into that when the time comes.

I got a quote from Canev so at least I know the baseline.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Folks,

A search lead my to this thread, although it is a few years old now. Since a bit of time has passed, has anyone had any more luck finding a Canadian supplier for the CALB cells? Looking for the CA180FIs.

I just talked to Randy at CAN-EV this morning, and he's still just carrying Sinopoly (aka TS). But I still think the specs on the CA180FIs are a lot stronger.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts