DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my 11" motor I need to make a new DE cap and have found a couple of choices for bearings.
The bearing will sit on the inner land of the hollow gear pinion that is splined to the shaft and not directly on the shaft itself.
I am planning on machining off the gear teeth and fitting a chain or belt sprocket.

Which should I go for?

6308 2RS C3 40x90x23mm - Not sure if the extra clearence in the bearing is needed or not.
Or
6308 2RS 40x90x23mm - This is the same as above but presumably without the extra clearence.
Or maybe even
4308 2RS 40x90x33mm - A double row bearing that may support the pinion gear better from only one end, but lots more money.

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
For my 11" motor I need to make a new DE cap and have found a couple of choices for bearings.
Hi Wood,

Standard practice for the modern Class H motors is to use high temperature seals, 2HRS, and high temp grease. And I just looked at a DE bearing we use and it is a 6208C3. Don't know about that double row approach. If the bearings are being pressed onto the splined insert instead of the motor shaft itself, best to put one each side of the load, like the old gear, except no need for rollers.

Oh yeah, just thought of this. We would often build the motor first time with the cheap bearings and test it, make sure everything worked, and then take it apart and install the expensive bearings. :)

major

·
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers major,

I'll get two of the cheap ones for setting up and later get two of the C3 ones to replace, I'll ask the seller if they have 2HRS versions.

I will see if I can make a pretty way to support the spline at both ends in that case.
In some ways that may make things easier as I won't need to worry about the spline integrity.:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
no point in double roller bearings by the way, thats only if you have real heavy side loading without resorting to rollers (its a shaft drive to the trans, so no?) or if you want to support something with one bearing (normally that would cause wobble) or if you use a double roller *thrust*/support bearing (those exist as well, perhaps nice if you use a clutch, but otherwise no point, you could use a single roller thrust/support bearing as well, probably cheaper)

anyway, just a simple type with metal greaserings and high-temp grease and you should be set for most cases :)

·
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This will be a sidewinder.
A transverse motor driving a chain or toothed belt to a single rear wheel on a reverse trike. Lots of radial load when I tension it up.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts