DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

This is my first post here. I couldn't find a good place for this post so Admins please move this if necessary.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about EV's and I've got a lot of questions. I've been reading and reading forums and there is a lot of useful information!

I have an idea in my head that I'd love to see happen. I want to make a EV from scratch. It will require a lot of time, effort, and $$ but I know it would be worth it in the end (at least for me!)
I drive 120-130 miles a day which adds up fast gas wise...

My question is, has anyone tried to the "Bedini Motor/Generator" (what ever the proper wording is) to recharge your batteries?

I've watched several YouTube videos where people use them and they show their input and output which i find impressive. I just feel there's something I'm missing... something they left out of the video.

My exp with electronics is very limited but I'm wondering what your thoughts would be on this.

My main thought is to take a battery bank (which would supply power to all devices in the EV) and then a second setup for the BM/G. I realize I'd have to have a controller of some sort to switch the batteries around so that the BM/G would sustain a constant voltage the whole time. Still working on that thought though.

If that idea fails instead of using a power/trigger coil to rotate the magnets how about if you took a small, high rpm motor, magnets, some sort of mounting device, and just put some coils next to the magnets? (I hope that makes sense...):confused:
Here's a link to a video I watched. this might clear up some confusion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_f4cXKjybI

Thanks in advance for reading this!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys!

Frodus - Could I mount a small 12" wind turbine that would rotate an alternator?
Surely driving 60-70mph would generate enough wind to rotate the alternator. A guy at Auto-Zone said an alternator rotating 2krpm would give you max power. If it didn't then perhaps adding a gear or two to achieve the rpm.

Or even adding solar panels

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Read. The. Thread.

in short, won't work. You'd require MORE energy to propel the vehicle because that "wind turbine" adds aero drag. It's not "free".... it requires more energy to propel a car by adding the "wind turbine" than it would produce.

Please read the ENTIRE thread. And don't ask any more questions until you read it. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but every question you're gonna ask about it is on that thread, which is why we link to it every time a new guy asks questions about perpetual motion, bedini, wind turbines, etc.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Your best bet for generating electricity on the go are pedals and solar panels. Wind turbines cause drag, which in turn cause the motor to use more electricity than it will generate. Try thinking Twike or solar race car. Or you could do something like this......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YtBJRSom9M

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh well. I'll have to think of something else. I have a lot of reading do to first... Might just be easier to find a new job that isn't 60+ miles away!

·
Registered
626 Posts

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I just dug into it more:
http://ecomodder.com/blog/dave-clouds-super-aerodynamic-electric-car-dolphin/

and here:

http://answerpot.com/showthread.php?575390-Cloud+Dolphin+Streamliner+BREAKS+200+miles+ON+LEEAD+!!

sounds like he used up 272Ah on one side and 262Ah on the other at 72V.... total pack size of 38.5kwh of USED energy (estimating without voltage drop)....

That's a HUGE pack.... 60 batteries at 33lbs a piece is around 2klbs, thats 1200lbs for drivetrain, motor, controller, etc.... so its believable. A great feat, but it's not like he did that with a 10kwh pack or something. That's Much larger than most packs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts