DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I don't know if it is best, but it is cheap and free: Big campaign signs work great on my car. Make sure the polls have closed first, and then grab some late on Nov. 2 if you are in the U.S.A.

Not only are you making your EV more efficient, you are recycling and cleaning up!
Hi all, I'm thinking about using a belly pan on my car and I'm hoping for advice from people that have done it. What's the best material to use? Any other tips/advice?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if it is best, but it is cheap and free: Big campaign signs work great on my car. Make sure the polls have closed first, and then grab some late on Nov. 2 if you are in the U.S.A.

Not only are you making your EV more efficient, you are recycling and cleaning up!
Ha -- great idea. But I'm looking for something a little more permanent. I could use regular plastic sheeting, but I'm worried it wouldn't last. Maybe kevlar? That's probably pretty expensive......

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not installed mine yet, but got a sheet of 1/8" ABS plastic... not very expensive, easy to heat-form, glue, or heat-weld. Should be pretty durable.
I actually just ordered the same thing. ABS -- but I'm using 3/16" to get a bit more durability. We'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
50 Posts
maximum durability would be HDPE, the material used to make cutting boards and such, very puncture and wear resistant, they use the stuff too to make industrail bump rails and such.
coroplast, abs, thick PE (usually, thats already HDPE in disguise) or w/e plate you can find should all work well :)
[edit:] oh right! and steel/alu ofcourse, see the nice alu pan below :)

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
maximum durability would be HDPE, the material used to make cutting boards and such, very puncture and wear resistant, they use the stuff too to make industrail bump rails and such.
coroplast, abs, thick PE (usually, thats already HDPE in disguise) or w/e plate you can find should all work well :)
[edit:] oh right! and steel/alu ofcourse, see the nice alu pan below :)
Unless you're making a skid plate weight should be a concern, and coroplast is probably the lightest choice.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
most of the plastic supply houses on the yellow pages have or can get anything from .020" to 1.250", with 1/16 to 3/16 usually in stock

1 - 11 of 11 Posts