DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to draw out my plans for my battery racks and motor mount for the machine shop. I'd assue them best way is a cad program. Are there any easy to use free ones out there? what would you recommend?

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
I would second Sketch Up though I can't seem to use it myself.

Most of my design students use Sketch Up and have produced very good levels of work with it.
I simply cannot get my mind around it effectively and have started using Auto Cad student version instead. You do need a student email account to access it for free download though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
SketchUp gets my vote too. I've recently started using it because my previous CAD software started getting glitchy. SketchUp is not perfect, but it will likely do most of what you will need to do. It is much easier to use than the other software I'd been using. There are lots of online video tutorials. Can't beat the price!

Rob

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
One other tip on Sketchup: group early, group often. Sketchup likes to merge adjacent geometry unless it is grouped or made into components. It also makes it much easier when you draw, say, an angle iron and later want to change its length, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts