DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm pretty new to this community and I'm just getting into my first EV conversion. However, I'm very confused about where to go with the motor and inverter. First, I would like to say I'm just a college student and I'm on a very tight budget so most of this surrounds the cost of these components.

Let me start with the motor:
I've heard that the best way to go for these motors is used industrial motors since they can be relatively cheap and are easy to source. Looking at one of the motors in my area on facebook marketplace, I find this Used 100 hp electrical motor which is a 230V, 240A 3 phase motors rated at 100HP. Doing some math we find that (300lb-ft * 1775rpm(rated rpm on motor) / 5252 = 100HP) the motor is capable of producing about 300lb-ft of torque. Compare this to the HyPer 9 motor, which I have heard good things about, that produces 173 lb-ft of torque for $4,150 vs this $800 motor. So I guess I found a good source for the motor.

Now the issue I run into is finding a suitable inverter. Based on the requirements for the motor, I will need a 55kW inverter (460V * 120A / 1000 = 55.2kW). Finding a 3 phase 55kW inverter proved to be very difficult. I did find one here 50KW PURE SINE POWER INVERTER CHARGER 384 VDC 240 VAC SPLIT PHASE – The Inverter Store for 50kW however it costs $16,900 which is out of my price range to say the least. This is where I start to feel a little lost like there's no way it should cost this much right?? Perhaps I am looking at the wrong thing or maybe I'm just bad at shopping? You guys will have to let me know.

After looking at the prices of these I got two ideas:
1. Use the motor and inverter from an old hybrid. I did find that you can get an early 2000's ford escape hybrid for around $2000. From my research these actually have some decent electric motors that are able to get the ford escape up to around 30mph so it should be no problem powering my tiny 240z. However my concern with these is how well I will be able to interface with the inverter as they are probably pretty locked down. However the advantage here is that I got all the components(including the battery) for a pretty good deal.

2.Build the inverter. Now as someone that has only taken a single electrical engineering class, this seems extremely daunting and dangerous. However I have seen other people on these forums build inverters from scratch with some degree of success but this is probably out of reach for me.

Anyway, for those of you that have some more experience than me, if you'll please point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Another thing I forgot to include is that I have looked at micro-inverters which I have heard to be cheaper however I haven't found a great source for them and I am unsure about how the output from each would be combined

1 - 1 of 1 Posts