DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all new to this, I have built a AC cobra from scratch so know a bit 馃, I have now moved on and sold her, ok next project, basic micra K10 conversion. I won't to use the engine as the base and keep the gearbox, to keep the look anf feel of the original car, I have taken the pistons out and basic auxiliary units, but an reinstalled the altinator, so now need advise on the DC motor, don't won't speed just advise, I am a parts manager for a body shop and have taken a tesla training course so know a bit especially on safety 馃憤, sorry babeling, and spelling not good 馃槙 to old to change. A back to question Best DC motor, cheep being the word 馃槀 shunt DC 3000rpm? Help please 馃檹 ken

Registered
I won't to use the engine as the base and keep the gearbox, to keep the look anf feel of the original car, I have taken the pistons out and basic auxiliary units, but an reinstalled the altinator, so now need advise on the DC motor, don't won't speed just advise, I am a parts manager for a body shop and have taken a tesla training course so know a bit especially on safety 馃憤, sorry babeling, and spelling not good 馃槙 to old to change. A back to question Best DC motor, cheep being the word 馃槀 shunt DC 3000rpm? Help please 馃檹 ken
I assume that was supposed to be "I want to use the engine as the base..." It appears that you are keeping the engine in a weird half-gutted disabled form. Why? Are you trying to maximize the weight, complication, and inefficiency of the conversion?

The rational approach if you want to use the original transmission and a DC motor, used by essentially everyone else, is to completely remove the engine and all of its accessories and mount the motor to the transmission with a housing adapter and a shaft coupler.

The motor choice doesn't matter if the rest of the design is not workable.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmmm I just like the idea of looking in the engine area and seeing something, other than a round electric motor,馃, that resembles a old car motor, I know it reduces the direct motor contact, but its fot aesthetic purposes only 馃槙 I now sad, I don't like all the new same, as same as stuff. Do you have a suggestion of the best simple DC Motor, 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I know grammer and spelling crap but no ones perfect. I use spell check but it gives me choices. 馃し So I didn't know in the 1st place so how would I now which one to go fore 馃槀

Registered
Hmmmmm I just like the idea of looking in the engine area and seeing something, other than a round electric motor,馃, that resembles a old car motor, I know it reduces the direct motor contact, but its fot aesthetic purposes only 馃槙
If this is important to you, you could install the motor rationally (like everyone else), but build an appearance cover for it. Put fake intake and exhaust manifolds on it if you want. The motor controller generally looks a lot like a finned aluminum valve cover, so mount it on top of the box and you're set. :)

For anyone who thinks this is silly... I agree, but there are few companies building housings for motors and controllers which are supposed to look like V8 engines, for the same reason.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm yes don't won't to go down that road of look like, I have already stripped the head of the engine and stripped all the pistons out freeing up the crank, spins free now, I have taken the top pulley of the head, and intend to fix it to the DC motor and drive the crank with a upgraded drive belt, just need advice on the DC motor so I don't buy the wrong one, 馃憤

Registered
Interesting idea. What engine are you using? The motor will set in /slash/ on top of the engine, kind if like a supercharger?

There are ways to determine what motor will work well with your vehicle's characteristics. You're adding work for the motor to turn the crankshaft and move the extra weight.

Used forklift motors can be inexpensive. I don't know if self-service car junkyards have hydrids and EVs available; I'm starting a thread to ask.

Registered
Hmmm yes don't won't to go down that road of look like, I have already stripped the head of the engine and stripped all the pistons out freeing up the crank, spins free now, I have taken the top pulley of the head, and intend to fix it to the DC motor and drive the crank with a upgraded drive belt, just need advice on the DC motor so I don't buy the wrong one, 馃憤
Then my advice is to buy the cheapest motor possible, so that you lose as little money as possible when you abandon the project.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Yes good discription, exactly like a supercharger. I do understand that I will loose a bit of direct drive, however I am using a 1987 Mk 1 Nissan micra, small basic classic car , my idea is to drive the existing 1000cc engine through the crank shaft keeping the clutch and gear box intact 馃, keeping the original 12v electric system intact including the altinator recharging the 12v battery. The electric motor will sit on top of the engine supply the drive, the battery pack will be in the back in the old fuel tank, I am going to cut the tank in 1/2 and build a battery box in to it keeping the fuel inlet pipe to the tank in please to use as the electricity supply inlet, trying to keep the budget to under 拢1000 total build? Original car was 拢300 and all work done by me so no labour cost and hopfuly outsourcing nothing 馃 I hope. What's your thoughts, Doable

Attachments

Registered
Classic Minis
I'll let someone else chime in with the 1000GBP budget, and re-using the alternator, etc etc.

But, we did play around with this pic below. You can make a sexy electric system that plays on new and old. Do a steam punk version. But retaining stock block... without a head. etc. Just keeps way too much weight, valuable space, etc.

Registered
Looks like a four rotor Mazda to me! Be sure to include an authentic rotary open exhaust sound system with the build. The rotary open exhaust is generally considered to produce some of the the loudest, most obnoxious sounding exhaust to ever terrorize a race track.

Registered
Yes good discription, exactly like a supercharger. I do understand that I will loose a bit of direct drive, however I am using a 1987 Mk 1 Nissan micra, small basic classic car , my idea is to drive the existing 1000cc engine through the crank shaft keeping the clutch and gear box intact 馃, keeping the original 12v electric system intact including the altinator recharging the 12v battery. The electric motor will sit on top of the engine supply the drive, the battery pack will be in the back in the old fuel tank, I am going to cut the tank in 1/2 and build a battery box in to it keeping the fuel inlet pipe to the tank in please to use as the electricity supply inlet, trying to keep the budget to under 拢1000 total build? Original car was 拢300 and all work done by me so no labour cost and hopfuly outsourcing nothing 馃 I hope. What's your thoughts, Doable
It looks like you won't have enough room to stack a motor on top of the block without modifying the hood. No offense intended, but I don't see an '87 econobox as a classic. It's not the type of car that shows off the engine, either, so I don't see the attachment to keeping the engine block in the conversion. But, if that's what you want, then another possibility is to hang the motor off of the side of the block. It looks like there's not enough room for that, either, because it looks like a transverse FWD. I'd just put a motor in there.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Yes good discription, exactly like a supercharger. I do understand that I will loose a bit of direct drive, however I am using a 1987 Mk 1 Nissan micra, small basic classic car , my idea is to drive the existing 1000cc engine through the crank shaft keeping the clutch and gear box intact 馃, keeping the original 12v electric system intact including the altinator recharging the 12v battery. The electric motor will sit on top of the engine supply the drive, the battery pack will be in the back in the old fuel tank, I am going to cut the tank in 1/2 and build a battery box in to it keeping the fuel inlet pipe to the tank in please to use as the electricity supply inlet, trying to keep the budget to under 拢1000 total build? Original car was 拢300 and all work done by me so no labour cost and hopfuly outsourcing nothing 馃 I hope. What's your thoughts, Doagh
It looks like you won't have enough room to stack a motor on top of the block without modifying the hood. No offense intended, but I don't see an '87 econobox as a classic. It's not the type of car that shows off the engine, either, so I don't see the attachment to keeping the engine block in the conversion. But, if that's what you want, then another possibility is to hang the motor off of the side of the block. It looks like there's not enough room for that, either, because it looks like a transverse FWD. I'd just put a motor in there.
Hi there is enough room, the head, carb, and top air filter take up the space, there's loads of room, I hope 馃around 18" just need to work out the best DC motor to use, think I'm going down the fork lift motor root?. But need some advise on the best DC motor to look for

Administrator
Yes good discription, exactly like a supercharger. I do understand that I will loose a bit of direct drive, however I am using a 1987 Mk 1 Nissan micra, small basic classic car , my idea is to drive the existing 1000cc engine through the crank shaft keeping the clutch and gear box intact 馃, keeping the original 12v electric system intact including the altinator recharging the 12v battery. The electric motor will sit on top of the engine supply the drive, the battery pack will be in the back in the old fuel tank, I am going to cut the tank in 1/2 and build a battery box in to it keeping the fuel inlet pipe to the tank in please to use as the electricity supply inlet, trying to keep the budget to under 拢1000 total build? Original car was 拢300 and all work done by me so no labour cost and hopfuly outsourcing nothing 馃 I hope. What's your thoughts, Doagh

Hi there is enough room, the head, carb, and top air filter take up the space, there's loads of room, I hope 馃around 18" just need to work out the best DC motor to use, think I'm going down the fork lift motor root?. But need some advise on the best DC motor to look for
Something like a 7 inch forklift motor would probably do the job - a 9 inch motor would DEFINATELY do the job

Read the thread on forklift motors - it tells you everything that you need to know

1 - 16 of 16 Posts