DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am sure this topic has bee thrashed out multiple times, but I can't seem to find it. I'm looking for any technical comparison related to designing an EV project around the Model S modules Vs the new Nissan Leaf modules.
Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
598 Posts
What are your goals? The tradeoff is mostly space vs cost. Leaf modules are cheap. Tesla modules are dense. Either can feed tremendous torque or long range, depending on configuration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. Its a light 750lb chassis. Add netgain 9 motor and batteries. Moderate sports car performance, 140 mile range. Designed atm to run 5 tesla modules, but I'd like to understand the pros and cons of the Leaf (due to better supply). Thanks for your insight. Rob

·
Registered
216 Posts
I believe one problem with the Tesla modules is that no diy build ever hooks up thermal management liquid cooling to the Tesla batteries, that would reduce their performance, a bit and reduce the lifespan. The Leaf batteries never get any cooling other than air so living in a DIY they last as well as Leaf batteries usually last which is to say they degrade slowly over 80k miles. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts