DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm about to start fabrication on the battery boxes for my DIY EV build (61 Ford Econoline Pickup). I will have two boxes with 20 Leaf batteries in each with a total config of 20S2P. I was considering installing a deutsch bulkhead connector on the box, as well as using bulkhead connectors for the main voltage +/- connectors. The boxes will be installed under the bed and out of sight. Is this a good or bad idea?

Thanks,

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Use Amphenol HVSL connectors. They include a low voltage safety loop in the female plug which allows you to have the male receptacle de-energised whenever the plug is removed. Use it as an interrupt for the ground line of an internal contactor.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Use Amphenol HVSL connectors. They include a low voltage safety loop in the female plug which allows you to have the male receptacle de-energised whenever the plug is removed. Use it as an interrupt for the ground line of an internal contactor.
This is quite good information. I'm guessing the connectors would be slightly more expensive than normal?

·
Registered
311 Posts
This is quite good information. I'm guessing the connectors would be slightly more expensive than normal?
Yeah, but not a whole lot more expensive. They are waterproof, high potential rated and are industry standard. Purchase them directly through Amphenol to save money. Also, it's best to get them to do the crimping and heat-shrinking of the plug connectors. You choose the length of cable you want and they will make it to spec.

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeah, but not a whole lot more expensive. They are waterproof, high potential rated and are industry standard. Purchase them directly through Amphenol to save money. Also, it's best to get them to do the crimping and heat-shrinking of the plug connectors. You choose the length of cable you want and they will make it to spec.
What's the approx price for a set like that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You do realize that there is a ~300# steel or cast iron counterweight on top of the gas tank. If that is replaced with an equivalent mass of cells you can get more range. :cool:

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
They're super nice. I sell some of these on my site (surplus items):
https://www.emf-power.com/product/plug-connector-and-cable/

6' length cable, pre crimped, and shielded cables.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have considered doing the same to an old Econoline.

As Electroddy mentioned, there is a large weight above the gas tank that can be removed. It's more like 150 pounds, and held in by carriage bolts through the truck bed. Remove the weight and the fuel tank, and you have lots of room for batteries.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have considered doing the same to an old Econoline.

As Electroddy mentioned, there is a large weight above the gas tank that can be removed. It's more like 150 pounds, and held in by carriage bolts through the truck bed. Remove the weight and the fuel tank, and you have lots of room for batteries.

Here's a video from the Teslonda guy that shows and explains the counterweight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So0wn2dZGgA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts