DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm interested in looking at the bidirectional charging. I saw Qasar bidirectional wall charger from the CES 2020 show. This is the only bidirectional wall charger I've seen and I thought Tesla was supose to do it too.
Does my onboard charger also need to be upgraded to be able to handle bidirectional charging? If so, is there a list of onboard chargers that support bidirectional charging and can someone give me a pointer to where some more technical details about it so I can tie in my home automation system. Is the Qasar basically an EV charger with grid tie inverter technology in there? I'd like to be able to run lights in an emergency from the EV battery and possibly sell to the grid when price is good, and buy power from the grid when price is cheap.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Your car has to support CHAdeMO charging in order to use the Qasar wallbox.

afaik, CHAdeMO is on its way out for public charging, so pick your poison.

Tesla has no such box - Musk wants to sell you a second battery...yeah, he's all about the money, after all.

Mr Green Energy Good Guy also wants more supply turned on of fossil fuels as of a day ago, as well...after all he needs three 1.8 million pound tankfulls of methane PER DAY to get his internet monopoly in the sky put up. I'm sure RP-1 kerosene has gone up as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thank you for the response. I did not know Qasar only worked on CHAdeMO plugs so that is a definite No for me on Qasar. The plug is literally just a plug, and not the electronic intelligence connecting to the grid so I thought it was independent of the plug standard. I'm in the USA, and so I think my choices are really SAE J1772 as the dominant charger plug around here and did not plan on ever using the CHAdeMO plug. I want to stay with the J1772 as I think that will be around longer. Are you by chance saying that the DC variant of the plug is what is needed because the bi-directional charging is happening through the DC ports [rather than the AC]?

I thought about it more before I saw your response, and realized that an onboard charger that also had grid tie feature would work as a bidirectional charger through a SAE J1772 connector. That is effectively the same thing as a grid tied battery charger. I would just have to build a control circuit so I can easily control if it is in charge mode or grid tied mode so I can make sure I'm not charging the EV during the 4p-9p expensive time-of-use rates. I'd rather use the EV battery for supplying the house, and then after 9pm, change it to a charge up the EV battery mode so there is enough juice for the next day.

I was just hoping there was already an open source project working on this charge control intelligence so I don't have to invent the wheel from scratch.

·
Registered
806 Posts

Tesla has no such box - Musk wants to sell you a second battery...yeah, he's all about the money, after all.

Mr Green Energy Good Guy also wants more supply turned on of fossil fuels as of a day ago, as well...after all he needs three 1.8 million pound tankfulls of methane PER DAY to get his internet monopoly in the sky put up. I'm sure RP-1 kerosene has gone up as well.
He has also established a $100M reward for the development of a direct capture Methane production. It will work out in the end, but we need to move that program forward.

P.S. Posted via the Starlink.

·
Registered
221 Posts
He has also established a $100M reward for the development of a direct capture Methane production.
Lol, we were all set up for the moon one and yeah, it didn't happen because reasons. For this round, somebody/people again aren't understanding the issue. Imagine you are going to dutch oven your SO, what could he/she do to predict, pre-empt and prevent the ensuing situation. If capturing the emissions is the goal, the project has failed at the outset. Handling the intention to produce said emissions is a much more efficient method of achieving the desired outcome. Ok yea, we aren't quite there yet as a society/race so let's run another round of this ruse. Or three.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Musk is all about his Internet in the Sky monopoly. Nothing else. Putting up three 1.8 million pounds of methane rockets PER DAY. The other stuff, including NASA and DoD launches is all a sideline so he doesn't get shut down. The Mars stuff is all complete nonsense.

He's done the math on spending CAPEX once to build a methane factory for his rockets. Then the methane's free. Hence the $100M prize. Meanwhile, he's begging to have fossil fuels ramped up cuz choked off fossil fuels and shutting down Russian methane is killing his cashflow. He's going to pay triple to fill up his stainless steely dan.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Lol, we were all set up for the moon one and yeah, it didn't happen because reasons. For this round, somebody/people again aren't understanding the issue. Imagine you are going to dutch oven your SO, what could he/she do to predict, pre-empt and prevent the ensuing situation. If capturing the emissions is the goal, the project has failed at the outset. Handling the intention to produce said emissions is a much more efficient method of achieving the desired outcome. Ok yea, we aren't quite there yet as a society/race so let's run another round of this ruse. Or three.
I am not following. In-situ fuel production is a requirement for Mars colonization. Methane has to be produced from CO2 there. So it's a relatively high priority problem for the he who must not be named, right after actually building the BFR and making it do all the things it needs to do.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Musk is all about his Internet in the Sky monopoly. Nothing else. Putting up three 1.8 million pounds of methane rockets PER DAY. The other stuff, including NASA and DoD launches is all a sideline so he doesn't get shut down. The Mars stuff is all complete nonsense.

He's done the math on spending CAPEX once to build a methane factory for his rockets. Then the methane's free. Hence the $100M prize. Meanwhile, he's begging to have fossil fuels ramped up cuz choked off fossil fuels and shutting down Russian methane is killing his cashflow. He's going to pay triple to fill up his stainless steely dan.
The Great Tincan is still at least a couple of years before it's launching more than once a month. I am pretty sure we can colonize Russia by then and get all the methane we need if that were the problem.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Mars is a ruse. And you fell for it, surprisingly.

He's all about your little dish. Nothing else.

Once he introduced the Premium Starlink, I had my epiphany...declined my dish when offered a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Mars is a ruse. And you fell for it, surprisingly.

He's all about your little dish. Nothing else.

Once he introduced the Premium Starlink, I had my epiphany...declined my dish when offered a few weeks ago.
I've put myself in his shoes. He already has everything a person of my kind (engineers) would ever want here on Earth. Mars is one thing that we can dream about and work towards.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
We'll be glowing in the dark before Russia gets colonized. That's the beauty of having 80 year opd men at the helm...they don't give a f*ck about next week. Whether it's Koch brothers, Biden, Putin, Trump, Cheney, Clinton now...all are past their expiry dates and very dangerous.

·
Registered
806 Posts
We'll be glowing in the dark before Russia gets colonized. That's the beauty of having 80 year opd men at the helm...they don't give a f*ck about next week. Whether it's Koch brothers, Biden, Putin, Trump, Cheney, Clinton now...all are past their expiry dates and very dangerous.
We're not deploying Aegis Ashore in the Eastern Europe and Japan for nothing. Russia is on the menu, just possibly not tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^^^ He's become a money hoarder. Money hoarders never have enough of the stuff.

Engineer Elon, free patents for everybody Elon, died when he got massive stock options based on Tesla profitability. He even left California before exercising them...old Elon would not have cared. Maybe the Elf girlfriend changed him as well, lol

·
Registered
806 Posts
^^^ He's become a money hoarder. Money hoarders never have enough of the stuff.

Engineer Elon, free patents for everybody Ekon, died when he got massive stock options based on Tesla profitability. He even left California before exercising them...old Elon would not have cared. Maybe the Elf girlfriend changed him as well, lol
Well, I don't know the guy personally. You could be right. Either way, I am benefiting greatly from his accomplishments.

·
Registered
221 Posts
In-situ fuel production is a requirement for Mars colonization
I probably can't explain this to you but: Mars is a lie. Life on Mars is no less a fantasy than it was in the 1960s. Selling the lie is a massively profitable industry though, let's not interfere with that here. Huge profits to be made "saving" mankind or whatever ethereal goal we are to believe this week. Have a YT of the Common Sense Skeptic, he does a reasonable assessment of Musk ventures, aside from where he deviates from the 'attack the science, not the [person selling it]" which I will forgive him for in his enthusiasm.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I probably can't explain this to you but: Mars is a lie. Life on Mars is no less a fantasy than it was in the 1960s. Selling the lie is a massively profitable industry though, let's not interfere with that here. Huge profits to be made "saving" mankind or whatever ethereal goal we are to believe this week. Have a YT of the Common Sense Skeptic, he does a reasonable assessment of Musk ventures, aside from where he deviates from the 'attack the science, not the [person selling it]" which I will forgive him for in his enthusiasm.
You posted a lot of words, but haven't actually presented an argument. Form an argument, let's "talk" about it. At least we will have a good time, even if we end the night without reaching an agreement or the enlightenment.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yup, this isn't the place to present arguments; that is what science is about, and this is a DIY EV forum. I'm guessing your financial gain is a function of other people believing the [information produced by Musk entities], as you were.

We may have strayed a little from the topic, as enjoyable as this one is

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yup, this isn't the place to present arguments; that is what science is about, and this is a DIY EV forum. I'm guessing your financial gain is a function of other people believing the [information produced by Musk entities], as you were.

We may have strayed a little from the topic, as enjoyable as this one is
I never said financial gain. I stated earlier - I am a Starlink user. I have no cellphone signal here, no DSL or Cable options. The only alternatives here are Exede and Hughes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Starlink is a fantastic service but a terrible business model in that the revenue recovered from its operation in its present form is quite different to the costs of running and maintaining it. If his lordship can keep all the plates spinning in the air while figuring out how to generate positive revenue, before the money people start asking probing questions, then all power to him. He's kind of good at that I guess.

[sorry, back on topic]

·
Registered
806 Posts
Starlink is a fantastic service but a terrible business model in that the revenue recovered from its operation in its present form is quite different to the costs of running and maintaining it. If his lordship can keep all the plates spinning in the air while figuring out how to generate positive revenue, before the money people start asking probing questions, then all power to him. He's kind of good at that I guess.
Yeah, I don't know. Certainly there is a lot of upfront cost. There are also stop-gap measures (i.e. ground stations before lasers). What I do know - it's unprecedented. I've signed up as soon as the Beta has started, and remained impressed ever since - over 14 months now. Love it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts