DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
First time posting here- long time reader.
I have a billet throttle from evwest hooked up to an ac51/1239e combo.
46 CALB 180Ah batteries. Everything seems to be working as designed, but I cannot for the life of me get the throttle to work.

-I have loosened/tightened the arm and sensor bolts on the throttle per the instruction page.
https://evwest.com/support/Billet Throttle Instructions.pdf

-I have quadruple-checked the wiring- I am using 7, 16, 26 from the controller. (p14)
http://www.hpevs.com/Site/images/jp...32_up/auto1239_Controller_532_revA_6-9-17.pdf

-Currently when I power up the motor goes to about 6500 rpm and stays there.
-I was getting a flash code of 41: (throttle wiper too high) but the that was with throttle disconnected- so not sure if that is relevant.
-When I reverse the + and - wires on the throttle I get no voltage readings on the spyglass, and same behaviour of the motor.
-Here are the current throttle programming values:
(throttle type 1)
tpot 4.9 (goes to 2.6 when i depress accelerator pedal) (diagnosis mode)
tdb 48.7
arn .5
are .5
map 50%
Just not sure what to check next..
Would it be desirable or even possible to do some kind of a reset on the controller?
Secondly, is there any test I could perform just to verify that my throttle itself is ok?
I have been reaching out to the resellers that I purchased from as well, but so far no advice or replies.
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Try throttle type 3. It's a Pot not electronic throttle.

Do this:
Curtis Pin Throttle Pin Description
7 A Ground
16 B Wiper
26 C 5V

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I was thinking it was Type 1 since it does not have a switch.
So, I tried that, and at least the motor doesn't rev up, but I still do not have any throttle response.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I'd suggest contacting who you bought the HPEVS system from to see if they can assist with setup. It's probably something simple.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Hello all,
First time posting here- long time reader.
I have a billet throttle from evwest hooked up to an ac51/1239e combo.
46 CALB 180Ah batteries. Everything seems to be working as designed, but I cannot for the life of me get the throttle to work.
I am unfamiliar with the 1239e controller, my builds have been DC motors and old Curtis 1221 (pot throttle) and Zilla controllers (Hall throttle).... first question I would ask is whether the controller is expecting variable 'pot box' resistance input from the throttle, or variable voltage from a Hall effect throttle.

Then, test the throttle to see if it is putting out what you expect, in the range the controller expects. between the controller documentation, and the throttle documentation, you should be able to match input/outputs....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks dtbaker- that sounds like my best course of action.

frodus- i have contacted the supplier and reseller but they have been no help beyond just repeating the instructions.

hopefully i can at least get to the point where i can determine if the throttle is defective or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: billet throttle with curtis 1239e - resolution

1: pin #9 (green) needed to be connected to pin #25 (red-blue)
2: due to the clunky-ness of trying to program via the spyglass, a couple other settings were out of bounds- easily corrected once i had a handheld programmer hooked up. (ended up setting to type 3)

many, many thanks to evwest for their professional expertise and handheld rental.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts