DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My build is progressing quickly, I need some BMS advice. I am using a full 96s lithium ion Tesla model 3 pack. 355v nominal, 400v fully charged. Since the internal battery management boards haven't been cracked yet, I need to add an external BMS. It looks like wiring will be simplified by soldering or crimping to the battery management board terminals, so distributed BMS solutions won't work. Right now I'm leaning towards the thunderstruck dilithium BMS, but I'm open to other options... I am also looking at the Orion BMS.

The one thing neither of these offer is CCS DC fast charging support. Is there any BMS on the market that does? What is everyones opinion of the best BMS on the market right now?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Do we know for sure that the Model 3 pack is using a different messaging scheme?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on what EVTV has published, it is a completely different system... It is possible the messages are the same, but the communication protocol is different... It's an obscure chip using an obscure protocol, I don't think anyone has even figured out how to record the message yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'll bump this thread as I'm in the same boat. Will begin attempts to integrate Model 3 battery modules to EV build later this year. Here's to hoping more progress is made on hacking these batteries soon!

Sasquatch what's your vehicle?

·
Registered
30 Posts
My build is progressing quickly, I need some BMS advice. I am using a full 96s lithium ion Tesla model 3 pack. 355v nominal, 400v fully charged. Since the internal battery management boards haven't been cracked yet, I need to add an external BMS. It looks like wiring will be simplified by soldering or crimping to the battery management board terminals, so distributed BMS solutions won't work. Right now I'm leaning towards the thunderstruck dilithium BMS, but I'm open to other options... I am also looking at the Orion BMS.

The one thing neither of these offer is CCS DC fast charging support. Is there any BMS on the market that does? What is everyones opinion of the best BMS on the market right now?
Sasquatch check the latest video by Rich Rebuilds; it’s about EVWest shop and there is a quick thing in there showing an old truck waiting to have model 3 modules installed. So apparently someone who knows what they’re doing seems to think it’s possible. Great sign!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts