DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a BMS touch screen display, (I thought was supposed to display (7.5") a dial for voltage, current and SOC meter, but it only displays SOC and will also display individual batt voltages on another screen.

My problem is, they don't have instructions on how to connect it up. Most of it is easy enough, uses common connections, but it doesn't show how to connect a relay or even each individual battery wire. I connected B+1 to the first battery, but now realize I started connecting it to the negative side of my battery pack. So I hope I have not blown anything, plus I had the DCM 2 connected, so I removed and connected the DCM 1, so if they were to go, I'd have blown two!

Here's the web site I ordered it from...
http://www.evequipmentsupply.com/media/images/BMS/Energy_Management_System_REV_A.pdf

Is there anyone with info on how to connect these style devices?

Thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Started wiring it with B1+ to the most positive battery (DUH) and got the first ten temp done. It registers the correct 33 something volts.

I'll keep wiring them in series following the path I wired the batteries in the truck.

Once wired in, I'll have to figure out how to wire in the charger shut-off. The relay is another issue. Is it part of the charger shut off or something else? Plus there is an output for relay 1,2 and 3, but my unit only has two outputs, charge and discharge.

Might stick with the MINI BMS cause it works great! And use this BMS display just for display, though I think the BMS part should not interfere with the MINI BMS shutting off the charger.

Or I might just toss it in the trash!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those do have some better pictures than what I have, but they show things like the boxes are SS where mine are black, the screen is the 5.7" I ordered and shows the V and A meters, mine just displays those as a number. All of the cords connect the same, but they have different style connections, which is no big deal. I also don't have those shunts? that connect between each battery, but assume they re-moded it to have it in the DCM's

It was easy enough to connect up all the battery wires, DCM's, Control module, and the tiny screen they sent me. It works, displays battery voltages and the DCM's heated up when charging, so I believe the BMS was working.

The hard part is...
1. What do I connect to power 24/7 so it doesn't loose the setup info all the time? (I'll figure this out - just upset they don't have a schematic)
2. How do I connect the huge relay and to what? Whats it for? Do I even need it? The relay is almost the size of my main relay!

I worked on Avionics on the F-111 and F-16 for 20 years, so I'm pretty good with wires. I just need to know what goes where or does what.

Thanks for the link to the pics!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts