DIY Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Update; Finally I have a machine shop that is keen to manufacture a coupling and also an adaptor between the BMW gearbox and Leaf motor. I have given the go-ahead and will post the CAD files once received.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Matthew

Awesome project. Any chance you could measure the height of the leaf motor without the inverter on top please?

Keep up the great work and happy new year from the otherside of the ditch

·
Registered
607 Posts
Lotta Leaf info in my build thread:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Update::

In Australia it is summer holidays hence I have been able to make some progress.

1) Batteries are now in the BMW. This was a huge task to make sure the weight was supported and they are restrained in the case of an accident.
2) Wiring looms have been packaged into an (Ikea) box. This is now placed in the passenger seat area.
3) I have ordered a Leaf computer Resolve EV to replace most of the wiring looms.

Batteries in boot:

Batteries in the place of rear seat & wiring loom in the passenger seat:

Gear selector/ on button/ pedals/ etc (just need the seat back in):

Next steps are:

1) to complete re-wiring the battery.
2) Connect all the original wiring again (now that it is in the car) & hope that is still goes.
3) Wait for the gearbox coupler/ adaptor.
4) Build motor mounts. Hopefully, the gearbox adaptor can incorporate this.
5) Wait for a new computer - see Resolve controller — Resolve-EV. Re-wire and get rid of the original Leaf looms.
6) New Tesla electric brakes. See: All Brakes & wheels products - EVcreate (page 1)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Progress! Why not turn the trunk box around so more weight is towards the center of the car?
I am being lazy. The arrangement I have means that I can reuse all the BMS cabling without modification. I only needed to drill a hole & pass cables through.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I am being lazy.
Laziness and efficiency are sometimes indistinguishable. ;)

The arrangement I have means that I can reuse all the BMS cabling without modification. I only needed to drill a hole & pass cables through.
That makes sense - the current arrangement of modules is the stock arrangement in a Leaf pack, but turned front-to-back and with the lateral stack (under the rear seat of the Leaf, replacing the rear seat in the BMW) slightly separated from the rest.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Update:

Batteries, wiring, etc (except motor) are now in the car:

Well that is the good news.

The bad news is that the system did not come back to life.

Current DTC's (Current DTC's when the system is now working):

The bad news is that these DTC's all existed previously (screen shot from when the system still worked):

It seems the BCM / Charger / HV Battery / IPDM / etc are now not talking anymore. I don't think that I have actually changed anything.

Help! ..... any suggestions?

ps - I am happy with the way that the Isolator & Pre-charge circuits fit into this case. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hm. The only thing I can think of is noise over the CAN bus, but that seems unlikely....Are you getting the right voltage in the right places at the right time? Precharge, pos, negative contactors? All 12v components plugged in and grounded? Good 12v battery?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Thanks @Tremelune

In moving everything to car I have bundled the wiring looms together. It is possible there are some EMC issues - however they are a long way from the motor/ inverter.

I will triple check all the earthing is in (12V). I think I have picked them all up & linked back to the battery components. I did not earth the pedal assembly but I assume that should not be an issue. I will try that just in case.

The main display does not come on at all. That would suggest that BCM as an issue?

Re the precharge - any suggestions for checking that safely?

12V battery was freshly charged. I will re-check as it was previously playing up.

I am more a mechanical guy - so this is getting outside my comfort zone.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Could put a multimeter on the relay posts...This is a hard thing to troubleshoot because of the proprietary nature of the communication...No charging when plugged in and no display when in "Drive" or whatever? Make sure there are no components still on the bench somewhere...

I think the CAN stuff is unlikely, due to the fact that my CAN wiring was super ugly for a while and it still worked fine...I would try and keep as much away from thick power lines—definitely away from the HV lines. It just seems like a long shot, despite everything I read about CAN saying it was important. The only CAN issue I ever had was reversing the twisted pair wires by mistake.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
Thanks for tips. There is nothing obvious in what I have done.

My to-do-list was:

1) to complete re-wiring the battery. Complete.
2) Connect all the original wiring again (now that it is in the car) Complete. & hope that is still goes. Fail.
3) Wait for the gearbox coupler/ adaptor.
4) Build motor mounts. Hopefully, the gearbox adaptor can incorporate this.
5) Wait for a new computer - see Resolve controller — Resolve-EV. Re-wire and get rid of the original Leaf looms.
6) New Tesla electric brakes. See: All Brakes & wheels products - EVcreate (page 1)

I will try a fresh look at troubleshooting wiring/ control systems - however it looks like step 5 new computer will be necessary.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Update:
3) & 4) - The gearbox adaptor, coupler and engine mount steps are in progress with a third part fabricator. Hopefully, I will see some computer models this week.
5) I completely gave up on the original Leaf wiring. It was just too hard to get it going again after I moved it into the car. I ended up purchasing the computer from Resolve EV and it has arrived. I am very pleased with the quality of construction, support from Isak @ Resolve EV and level of documentation.

See photos of the completed wiring, computer and my junction box. This is ready to go (if I have not made any mistakes).

I need to re-assemble the Leaf battery pack & energise the system again. This will be the big test of the Resolve EV system. I hope to report back in a few days.

The benefit of the Resolve EV system over the Thunderstruck computer is the ability to re-use the Charge (PDM).

6) Re the brake booster I decided on the Honda CRV ibooster. I have one on the way. This was very cost effective compared to the Telsa system.

For more information on the Bosch ibooster see:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for showing how your project is going. I'm following with interest as I'm a little behind you in my build.
I'll be particularly interested in how the resolve system works.
Good luck

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
Very cool! The Leaf charger (particularly the 6.6kW) is waaay cheaper than any aftermarket charger I've seen. Can you confirm that the DC/DC converter and BMS are also working (though it looks like it requires the full 24kW pack)?

For US$1,000, I could see buying this for DC/DC and charging alone:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Very cool! The Leaf charger (particularly the 6.6kW) is waaay cheaper than any aftermarket charger I've seen. Can you confirm that the DC/DC converter and BMS are also working (though it looks like it requires the full 24kW pack)?
I will be using the full/ original battery (with BMS) and the 3.6 kW charger. I will report back when I turn it all on.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Time has passed. Since the last post - I completed the wiring of the Resolve Controller, battery, etc.

My first attempt did not turn on.

Given the high stakes (400 V) I decided to take a logical approach and called in a second pair of experienced eyes and also called on Isak from Resolve to help out.

After careful review it turned out that:

• All of my connections to the Resolve controller were correct.
  • I had purchased switches (to select drive/ neutral/ reverse) which were push button. I assumed that they were normally open - but they were not (and they were normally closed). I believe this was the cause of my issue.
  • My OBD2 wiring was wrong - I had 12V going to the wrong pin. I don't believe that mattered.
  • I had not connected a charger sensing cable. This may have been a secondary error on my part.

The good news is that I now have the Resolve EV controller working and I am ready to start the next steps.

Thanks to Isak from Resolve and also Jake for helping me with the trouble shooting.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts