DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running in series 2) bmw I3 modules at 96 volts on a Dnepr sidecar motorcycle AC-30 with Curtis 1238. I have currently been running without BMS or any temperature monitoring. I would like to eventually add both. the modules are wired for both. I am monitoring voltage with cell log 8's

My amp draw from the pack is mostly well below 100 amps with occasional brief draws exceeding 100 amps. It accelerates decently drawing 60 amps. after a 10 mile run there is warmth coming off of pack when I open the closed boot of the sidecar where the batteries are mounted. Any info on temperature issues with these cells? (Samsung SDI 60ah) Am I flirting with disaster as far as heat goes here?
I feel heat in the compartment compared to outside temp but when I feel the top of the pack nothing is very warm. I was assuming my demand on these modules was relatively mild. I will hook up some temp monitoring so I can be more informative, but just thought I would throw it out there. If anybody has any insight. Might just finned heat sink on the bottom of each module be more than enough cooling in my application?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Is the controller or DCDC converter located in that same area--maybe that is the source of the heat.

You can buy an infrared pistol-grip temperature probe with LED pointer at some of the low-cost tool stores such as harbor freight, northern, etc. Put some black electrical tape on any shiny surfaces that you want to measure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts