DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes your head gets ahead of you, and you take on a really crazy project. Well this is definitely one. I'm using a BMWZ3 as a monocoque, then building out a new rear with a GT subframe and powering it with a lexus 450H electric transmission. All based to look like the batman Tumbler. It's going to be a fun and bumpy ride but at least it should be entertaining. Granted I don't blow myself up and/or get shocked :) First video is out today and more to come and I'll be posted here about any EV questions I may have as this is all new to me and I'm diving face first - maybe thats belly first? Either way I'm going to lean on you guys to help out with a lot of my EV related questions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's me thinking I've bitten off a big one with restoration of a Hudson before shovelling electric guts into it, but boy oh boy you've really got something to chew on with this one! I'll be doing a full psychological assessment on you ... ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's me thinking I've bitten off a big one with restoration of a Hudson before shovelling electric guts into it, but boy oh boy you've really got something to chew on with this one! I'll be doing a full psychological assessment on you ... ;)
Please do - I think I may need it :D

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Some times you fail and sometime you learn. Today was a learning day...
I didn't watch the video, but those benders are used mostly for conduit and pipe, not mechanical tubing. It's surprising to me that they ever make a good bend in anything. Does it even have a die that fits the tubing? They're usually sized for Schedule 40 pipe.

Car fabricators use tubing benders, such as this basic one from Eastwood (although I'm sure there are cheaper sources).

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Okay, I watched the video (which was pretty good :)) and the build-your-own-bender plan makes sense to me. A friend of mine built one, including even the dies, but the reasonable approach is probably to build the mechanism and buy the dies. The hydraulic jack won't be usable in the new bender unless the bender works in a vertical plane (horizontal pivot axis), because those jacks leak if used horizontally. Hydraulic cylinders and hand pumps are readily available, and a hydraulic body repair kit would probably work if you can work out how to mount that cylinder to the bender - most of those cylinders don't have normal ends, but if the bender is built to use the cylinder in tension then a body kit cylinder (ram) with pulling hooks would work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Okay, I watched the video (which was pretty good :)) and the build-your-own-bender plan makes sense to me. A friend of mine built one, including even the dies, but the reasonable approach is probably to build the mechanism and buy the dies. The hydraulic jack won't be usable in the new bender unless it works in a vertical plane, because those jacks leak if used horizontally. Hydraulic cylinders and hand pumps are readily available, and a hydraulic body repair kit would probably work if you can work out how to mount that cylinder to the bender - most of those cylinders don't have normal ends, but if the bender is built to use the cylinder in tension then a body kit cylinder (ram) with pulling hooks would work.
good info! Yeah I'm currently in designs for that, and it is on the back burner as I'm about to start on the suspension of the car. I'll get back to this once I get more funds or come up with a good design that's practical. Thanks for watching I try and make it fun but I never know if it's good lol

·
Super Moderator
1,327 Posts
You: "Tubing, that I manually bored out to fit these bearings"

Me: "Cool cool, he made use of a lathe in there somewhere."

You: ".... it took 4 hours of manually taking a Dremel and..."

Me:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its just part of the territory - I've never built a car from scratch so i'm just taking it slow and steady
Those laser cut parts look great though, and the welds were running good... sorry you have to re-do the bellcrank.. it's just the one side? The other looked like it was correct.

Don't let it get you down!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Those laser cut parts look great though, and the welds were running good... sorry you have to re-do the bellcrank.. it's just the one side? The other looked like it was correct.

Don't let it get you down!
Yeah it was just one side - just a little bit of extra work

1 - 15 of 15 Posts