DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I built the bonn charger somewhat simplified. It has a fan, 7.5uf capacitor, the inductor from a mot and a rectifier rated for 35a . The inductor dosent have multiple taps as I was attempting to keep it simple. It puts out 115.2v at 30a pretty clean.

The questions whats the best option to crank the voltage up. I'm trying for 144v pack charging or 172v output max
I am trying to setup this charger to ultimately use J1772 connections.

I can connect to 220/240v source not sure how the charger would work.

I would think I would build 2 each taking a leg and then putting the. DC outputs back together. Issue off the top is I would have to completely rewind my inductor to actually lower the output drastically. Also wonder about charge inequality from the 2 legs.

I can sacrifice some amps and use a dc booster. But then I suppose I would have to split the J connector leg off.

If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So did some digging I can regulate the voltage with 2 resistors to 86.2 and then recombine for 172v on the dc side add some diodes to keep current going correctly.

Any reason this wouldn't work? Figure use an amp meter after the combine with a shutoff like Duncan did to cutoff charging.

·
Administrator
6,435 Posts
So did some digging I can regulate the voltage with 2 resistors to 86.2 and then recombine for 172v on the dc side add some diodes to keep current going correctly.

Any reason this wouldn't work? Figure use an amp meter after the combine with a shutoff like Duncan did to cutoff charging.
I should clarify - I did use a JLD404 which can measure amphours for my shutoff

BUT I used it's voltage switch capability - so it simply switched a relay which shut off the mains power when the battery reached the desired voltage

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

I should clarify - I did use a JLD404 which can measure amphours for my shutoff

BUT I used it's voltage switch capability - so it simply switched a relay which shut off the mains power when the battery reached the desired voltage
Yes sir that's the plan. Atm I have a manual switch in place but will replace with a relay once I dial in on voltage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.