DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I’m new here, and I’d like to share an idea. I do have a lot of knowledge on internal combustion engines, but I still lack on electric alternatives.
The vehicle in question is a 2009 Saturn Vue Redline, weights around 4000lb and has a 260hp 3.6l engine that goes from 0-60 in 6.8 seconds. It’s a quick SUV, but what if I want it to be quicker?

Turbos and superchargers would give torque at low rpm, but are extremely expensive and would put a lot of strain on the engine, knowing that what blows a turbo motor is too much torque, affecting its reliability.
NOS systems are cheap but would also make the engine run waaaaay faster than it should.

But what if there was a way to use a EV motor shot on the rear wheels to increase low end torque in order to reduce 0-60 times? A vehicle that weighs 4000lb can have a hard time to start moving, but what if a electric motor can help it with that?

The 09 Saturn Vues was manufactured with FWD and AWD configurations. The catch is the FWD Vues use the samerear suspension components as the AWD ones, even the wheel hub is the same so a cv axle could be installed without any modifications. You have mounting holes for the rear diff and a axle shaft tunnel underneath the vehicle.

A set of cv axles cost around $180 and a stock used diff costs $150. The stock diffs have a viscous coupler system that could be bypassed and possibly give place to a electric motor instead of a drive shaft, I suppose.

It is not the objective of this project to achieve better fuel economy and range, but to find a way to power a EV motor for 6 seconds at most, to help the gasoline engine to achieve higher rpm faster, when it creates the more torque. A system like this wouldn’t require any modifications on the stock internal combustion engine, keeping its reliability, but offering the same benefits of internal combustion engine mods.

I’d like to hear your thoughts on how to power a system with “EV motor > stock differential > stock CV Axles > Wheels” for only 6 seconds.

For the batteries, I’m planning on using the spare tire area inside my trunk, since I have Run Flat tires and won’t need a spare.

I apologize if I forgot to mention any important information, but as I said, my knowledge on EV alternatives is still a work in progress.

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's an interesting use case for a motor implementation.

You could potentially fit in the rear drive unit from some PHEV SUV. They wouldn't be all that powerful stock but they have some potential to be pushed beyond the factory settings with the correct inverter. That would help give some initial push.

It might be worth looking into super capacitors as your power storage given the limited amount of time you require power for.

Maybe a simple DC motor would be easier to implement. However I don't know much about those so it could be easier to opt for a more modern AC motor.

It would probably be easier and cheaper to go down the usual ICE tuning routes though. Hybrids bring all the complexity of both systems and all the downsides as well.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
I'm not encouraging this idea, which would turn out to be much more complication, cost, and weight than it is worth; however...
You could potentially fit in the rear drive unit from some PHEV SUV. They wouldn't be all that powerful stock but they have some potential to be pushed beyond the factory settings with the correct inverter.
A good candidate for this might be the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, because unlike most hybrid vehicles using electric-only drive to one axle, this motor is the primary drive for the vehicle. It uses a 60 kW motor from Meiden (the Y61), and it would be used (if it fits) complete with the transaxle used in the Outlander. The Outlander PHEV's Meiden motors were discussed in 67 VW Beetle motor - Meiden 60kW EV Motor? The more common similar drive units are found in Toyota hybrid SUVs with transverse engines - the RAV4, Highlander, and Lexus RX.

·
Super Moderator
1,354 Posts
The big problem with this is that in order to get a high amount of power out of the batteries, you need a large amount of them. That means lots of weight. That means it probably won't undo its own penalty for added weight.

There isn't really a gasoline equivalent, but it's like saying you need a big, full gas tank to be able to use lots of gas at the same time.

Unlike with gas (which can explode), you have a limit to how fast you can get energy out of a battery. To add power you have to add range and weight, even if you don't need the range.

Probably just a bad idea in general unless it's fun for you to build. I don't think there's any intersection of modifications you can make that would be net beneficial.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts