DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Extreme newbie here.

Just curious as to if anyone has been able to modify a standard gs450h ev system to be able to run a power boost for a short period of time in the original vehicle?

I have read a heap of the threads about conversions, but has anyone done a power increase in the actual gs450h and kept all other standard features and functions working?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just curious as to if anyone has been able to modify a standard gs450h ev system to be able to run a power boost for a short period of time in the original vehicle?
What do you mean by power boost? Do you mean pushing more amps through the motor and inverter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean by power boost? Do you mean pushing more amps through the motor and inverter?
[/Q

Yes.

I know Mg1 and Mg2 are capable of a much greater output via increasing amps through the system. Has anyone used Damiens board and run it in the standard vehicle whilst stopping the Main ECU from restricting the outputs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes.

I know Mg1 and Mg2 are capable of a much greater output via increasing amps through the system. Has anyone used Damiens board and run it in the standard vehicle whilst stopping the Main ECU from restricting the outputs?

·
Super Moderator
1,354 Posts
Damien's board replaces the original brain board in the controller.

I'm not sure how well the OEM ECU would appreciate the controller missing the entire motor assembly.

You basically just want a souped up GS450H, like an old style pram performance chip?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damien's board replaces the original brain board in the controller.

I'm not sure how well the OEM ECU would appreciate the controller missing the entire motor assembly.

You basically just want a souped up GS450H, like an old style pram performance chip?
The idea would be to have an overboost or KERS style function without losing the OEM driveability for the other 99% of driving.

Does this pram chip achieve a result like that?

·
Super Moderator
1,354 Posts
There is no pram chip. I'm referring to the 2000s practice of getting performance chip swaps to unleash more engine power from what the ECU previously allowed. I was asking if that's basically what you want performance-wise out of your mod. It appears that you do.

I'm not sure what the best way to accomplish this would be.

You could start unplugging items like the gas pedal and plugging them into Damien's controller instead, but then the original car is missing them and the VCU is blind to what's happening.

There is an open-source VCU project for the GS450H seeing regular development by a couple people on the OpenInverter forums, but it's in a nascent stage right now.

Do you actually have a GS450H already, and find it to not be powerful enough? Or is this just hypothetical? Seems like a lot of effort for minimal gain on a not-that-cool car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no pram chip. I'm referring to the 2000s practice of getting performance chip swaps to unleash more engine power from what the ECU previously allowed. I was asking if that's basically what you want performance-wise out of your mod. It appears that you do.

I'm not sure what the best way to accomplish this would be.

You could start unplugging items like the gas pedal and plugging them into Damien's controller instead, but then the original car is missing them and the VCU is blind to what's happening.

There is an open-source VCU project for the GS450H seeing regular development by a couple people on the OpenInverter forums, but it's in a nascent stage right now.

Do you actually have a GS450H already, and find it to not be powerful enough? Or is this just hypothetical? Seems like a lot of effort for minimal gain on a not-that-cool car.
I have driven them multiple times previously, and the standard performance is more than adequate. I am actually considering purchasing one now, but was wondering of anyone had found a way to exploit the system and make the car a bit more of a surprise package on the off occasion. In a scenario where I was to turn up at the drag strip and post a sub 12 second pass, etc.

And I also enjoy doing things that aren't so common.

I appreciate your replies on the subject

1 - 8 of 8 Posts