DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Honda CRX (EM57 2013 Leaf Motor)
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First post so I'm a noob and I know very little about what is needed for an EV.

From what I understand, the 500e has a Bosch SMG 180/120 motor. Would the Scott Drive SD250 AC motor controller work with it? Do I still need an inverter too?

The motor appears to be an AC 3-phase motor with a resolver (excitor,sin,cos) with two wires for temperature.

Context:
I have a Fiat 500e 2015 for parts. I'm looking to take parts from it to convert a Honda CRX 1986 into an EV.
I'd prefer to use the rest of Fiat 500e parts like controller and inverter but I'm unsure if I'll be able to get it working as the Fiat is very sensitive and I'm not sure I'll be able to clear all the canbus errors.

Bonus:
If someone can point me at a guide which can give me a crash course on all the parts needed to make an EV work (AC Motor) and why then that would be appreciated. It seems AC isn't very popular due to its difficulty but I don't quite know why yet.

I'm also learning how to log and decipher the canbus in case I can actually trick the 500e computer or maybe even hack or reprogram it... if someone knows where to find that info I'd appreciate it too since I haven't found it yet but will keep searching.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First post so I'm a noob and I know very little about what is needed for an EV.

From what I understand, the 500e has a Bosch SMG 180/120 motor. Would the Scott Drive SD250 AC motor controller work with it? Do I still need an inverter too?

The motor appears to be an AC 3-phase motor with a resolver (excitor,sin,cos) with two wires for temperature.

Context:
I have a Fiat 500e 2015 for parts. I'm looking to take parts from it to convert a Honda CRX 1986 into an EV.
I'd prefer to use the rest of Fiat 500e parts like controller and inverter but I'm unsure if I'll be able to get it working as the Fiat is very sensitive and I'm not sure I'll be able to clear all the canbus errors.

Bonus:
If someone can point me at a guide which can give me a crash course on all the parts needed to make an EV work (AC Motor) and why then that would be appreciated. It seems AC isn't very popular due to its difficulty but I don't quite know why yet.

I'm also learning how to log and decipher the canbus in case I can actually trick the 500e computer or maybe even hack or reprogram it... if someone knows where to find that info I'd appreciate it too since I haven't found it yet but will keep searching.
Any updates with your project?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.