DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I bought a Miata that was converted and driven for 10000 miles and was thought to have battery issues with its voltronix batteries. There are four packs of five where the gas tank used to be and five more under the hood. The buss bars have been unbolted. There is another pack used with the dc/dc converter in the tank area. It has a solitron 1 controller to a warp 9 motor.

Is there a way to tell what voltage the solitron wants to be fed and what amperage would be good.

The previous owner has past and you can see the love he had for this car but he had no bms on the battery fed by an elcon charger.

Any help would be nice.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I"m not certain...

But I think it doesn't matter. Look up the specs for the Solitron, that'll tell you it's voltage range.

Look up the specs for the Warp 9, it'll tell you its max voltage.

Pick a battery voltage somewhere less than the lowest of either's max. Done.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Hi all,
I bought a Miata that was converted and driven for 10000 miles and was thought to have battery issues with its voltronix batteries. There are four packs of five where the gas tank used to be and five more under the hood. The buss bars have been unbolted. There is another pack used with the dc/dc converter in the tank area. It has a solitron 1 controller to a warp 9 motor.

Is there a way to tell what voltage the solitron wants to be fed and what amperage would be good.

The previous owner has past and you can see the love he had for this car but he had no bms on the battery fed by an elcon charger.

Any help would be nice.
Sounds like there are only 25 batteries and at a nominal 3.2 volts it will only yield 80 volts nominal. An 88 volt charged voltage if you charge to 3.55 volts each. Voltron are LiFePO4 and are a nominal 3.2 volts each. Should not charge above 3.55 volts using the standard CC CV charge algorithm. Pretty low voltage. Will have high sag issues under high current loads seen in acceleration for such a low voltage system. The Soliton can do some pretty high voltage and current and the warp9 is a power motor and able to deal with 144 volts plus and 1000 amps. Sounds like this person did bottom balancing which will discharge all batteries to like 2.5 volts each static then charge up to 3.55 volts. Set low voltage to 2.8 volt static and you will always stay above 2.5 volts and your cells will all drain equally do not to loose any cells in a high discharge state. Staying within 3.55 volts max will keep you the safe zone even if a cell or two go a bit higher. A bit higher is fine. Just don't want any cells going above 4.2 volts during charging.

What are the AH size of the cells? 100Ah or 150Ah or 200Ah? Do you know?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.

four times five is 20 plus five times five would be 25.
this gives me 45 times 3.5 would be around 160 volts.
Or it could be 80 volts.
They look like the 60Ahr sold on Ev West website.

On ev west for the contoller I thought I read that when you buy it you should specify voltage range and amperage range but could tweak it a bit after installation. Now I read that it uses a web interface to adjust.
I'm downloading the manual to my computer now. I will be download the contents to my brain shortly.
The warp 9 looks like it can sprint at 1000 amps with many caveats. I'm wish to get going at 400. Then I will raise it after watching the temps.

·
Administrator
6,157 Posts
Hi Crater

When you are deciding the voltage of your new system worry about the controller not the motor

The controler drops the motor voltage down to match the motor's requirements and on the Soliton you can set that to whatever you want
So you can use 300v at the battery and set the motor limit to 170v

As long as you don't go past the controller max then the higher the better

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Duncan,
This has been controller that was already set up and run for 10000 miles on an unknown voltage. If the solitron1 was setup to have an input of 60v and I boot it with 120v, it will not damage the controller so I can change the parameters to 120v input.

·
Administrator
6,157 Posts
Hi Crater
I used a Soliton for a while - then I had to give it back to its owner!

I believe that you do all of the setting up with the 12v supplied - and only afterwards do you connect the high voltage
so boot it up with the 12v and the HV disconnected until you have done the setup with your computer

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

four times five is 20 plus five times five would be 25.
this gives me 45 times 3.5 would be around 160 volts.
Or it could be 80 volts.
They look like the 60Ahr sold on Ev West website.

On ev west for the contoller I thought I read that when you buy it you should specify voltage range and amperage range but could tweak it a bit after installation. Now I read that it uses a web interface to adjust.
I'm downloading the manual to my computer now. I will be download the contents to my brain shortly.
The warp 9 looks like it can sprint at 1000 amps with many caveats. I'm wish to get going at 400. Then I will raise it after watching the temps.
Ok, so that 5 more up front is 5 more packs of 5. So you have a nominal system voltage of 144 volts. Sounds right then. So 45 charged to 3.55 will be 159.75 volts. That will settle down to about 3.4 volts after resting so your starting voltage after fully charging to 3.55 would be around 153 volts. That is a standard setup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Duncan, thanks.
I was 90% sure 12v to power in would work and thus could see controller current setting but wasn't sure not having the night voltage hooked up might mess things up.

Onegreenev, thanks again.
Now I have to figure out why the P.O. the battery system apart.

What's the easiest way to test so many cells.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I want to know if a pack size built to a 34s2p -142v or 35s2p- 147v would be better for the pack as it is charged with 144v. I do not want to buy a new charger. I also don't want to get close to zorching the motor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts