DIY Electric Car Forums banner

BRUSA NLG513 Cuts off at ~376 V - SDT Batt VoltHi

4868 Views 13 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  skooler
I've been happy with NLG 513 so far and I do get a rare error SDT Batt VoltHi constantly at around 376V. http://lithiumate.elithion.com/php/brusa.php

I've Nissan Leaf full pack and Leaf BMS connected. Brusa doesn't like it after 370+ volts.
I've disconnected all the traction battery input coming into BMS and still no luck. I'm planning to disconnect everything tonight and see how it goes. I'll update in the morning.

In the meanwhile, if anyone has ran into the same error, could you please let me know your experience?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,317 Posts
Disconnected BMS completely and charger aborted at 379V. So something to do with charger or nlg 513 doesn't like Leaf Batteries after 75% fir some reason. Any clues?
I have a couple of these on route so I've been looking through the manual and program to create a charge profile.

The first thing to do is check the program. What are the stages set up like? Is there a stage set up with a timeout condition, or something related to delta V or delta A or temperature or ??

They are very capable chargers, but if not set up correctly could easily perform outside of your expectations.

Are you charging from 120 or 240v?

· Administrator
1,451 Posts
I have a couple of these on route so I've been looking through the manual and program to create a charge profile.

The first thing to do is check the program. What are the stages set up like? Is there a stage set up with a timeout condition, or something related to delta V or delta A or temperature or ??

They are very capable chargers, but if not set up correctly could easily perform outside of your expectations.

pm me your email and I'll zip up the manual and chargestar and send it over :)

· Registered
1,317 Posts
pm me your email and I'll zip up the manual and chargestar and send it over :)
Thank you, I believe I have what I need, the old version of the manual describes how to set up the master/booster configuration. I'd like to have a look at the stock program first but I'll likely create my own first checking the temperature and allowing the pack to heat up above zero before starting the first charge stage.

If you have the stock Brusa/Azure program pulled from a charger It'd give me a head start, but not necessary if you don't. Were the black ones even part of the Azure bankruptcy or just old stock from Brusa?

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Charging at 240V

I only have one stage/phase, assuming that if battery pack takes less current, Charger continues to charge at lower Current.

Temp sensor id disabled.
Timeout is set at 8 hours, so non issue
Delta V and Delta A are not used as well.

Just now I've set the MAX AHr to 90, it was 66 before. I know its dangerous, but won't reach there for sure. Started charging now. lets see how it goes..

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Increasing the AHr cut-off didn't help.

I added one more Stage - Stage2 to start when Charging Current goes lower than 8A, max current is set at 7A in stage 2.

Charger continued to charge. Will have to see how it goes today.

I think the Charger software is buggy.

· Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I find i have to have the absolute max voltage setting around 25% higher than my charge cutoff voltage. If needed, reduce your nominal voltage to allow the headroom :)
I read this either in the manual or on a website, but couldn't figure out what should be my setting.

Below is Leaf Pack details and I want the Cutoff Voltage of 389V. What would you suggest my Charger Profile be?

100% SoC 393.6
90% SoC 388.8
80% SoC 384
75% SoC 381.6
50% SoC 369.6
Nominal Volts 360
20% SoC 355.2
10% SoC 353.76
10% SoC 350.4
10% SoC 348.96
0% SoC 345.6

· Administrator
1,451 Posts
I read this either in the manual or on a website, but couldn't figure out what should be my setting.

Below is Leaf Pack details and I want the Cutoff Voltage of 389V. What would you suggest my Charger Profile be?

100% SoC 393.6
90% SoC 388.8
80% SoC 384
75% SoC 381.6
50% SoC 369.6
Nominal Volts 360
20% SoC 355.2
10% SoC 353.76
10% SoC 350.4
10% SoC 348.96
0% SoC 345.6
I wouldn't like to say other than to repeat that I find I have to go about 25% over my desired charge cutoff voltage to get it to work without hitting that error

I also find that if you start a new profile in chargestar and change the nominal voltage setting (top left, first field) it will prompt you and automatically update the other two voltage related fields.

I really don't like setting this so high as it adds more risk of overcharge (even though I have never seen it go above the EOC voltage).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.