DIY Electric Car Forums banner
321 - 340 of 581 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Jack,

A thought comes to mind, why not move those three cells into different parallel groups, some groups with the lowest overall voltage. Try to average out the packs.

Does this make sense?

I know it's a pain to pull out and apart, but . . .

Jim

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
Sadly not really a runner with the current pack design. I kind of guess that it would only push the issue to the next lower capacity block in any event.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Maybe i missed the info.
Did you balance the cells in any way (top or bottom) before you put the pack together?
I can recall such behavior (out of balance) after overdischarging the pack or exceeding max C rate for discharge.
Recommended is also not to charge to 100% SOC.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
No balancing done at all. Not exceed discharge or charge.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would recommend you to balance the cells.
You could bottom balance all of them to 2.5V i think for HW with 0.3C currrent. Then put the pack together and charge it up.
All should then be in around 10mV apart and reach 3.5-3.6 in similar time period.
Monitor first charge with multimeter.

This is what I would do now that you have allready charged them.
There is a lot of different opinioun out there so don't take my for granted.
4,2V did not kill any of our HW cells. Overdischarge did.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
you do have those nifty little monitoring tabs so why not rig up some cables to take a bit of charge out of only the 3 groups that are hitting the top. Just a big resistor or other load that you can bring them down, might take a couple of tries but it should get you to a safer part of the curve.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #327 ·
Off the battery topic for a bit , I fitted an iec62196 charge socket and "control" to the car today. Purchased from Dostar in china for $125.
http://www.dostar-ev.com/en/product...me=EV Charge Coupler&SmallClassName=IEC 62196

I also purchased a compatible charging cable from the same company. The controls are very simple as it uses almost the same setup as j1772. Just 2 diodes and a 1k resistor. Via work i was able to purchase a charging pole controller from Mennekes in Germany:
http://www.mennekes.de/web/?appid=content/exp.def-live/de/&serviceconfig=live-browse-fresh

I built it , a contactor and a 32A RCBO into a box. Dostar charge cable on one end and a 32A industrial plug on the other. Instant charging pole! Plug in , 2 second later contactor thumps in and power on. Pull the plug and the pilot signal breaks contact first and openes the contactor before the power pins break. Nice and simple and the car is now compatible with the 1500 charging stations that are supposed to be installed throughout the country this year. Wait and see i guess!

Camera battery died so i'll get some pics on monday.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 ·
Don't think voltage matters. Transmitter and receiver run from two little aaa batteries. website here with more info : http://www.theowl.com/

My charger maxed out at 4.1kw today. Not bad for a bunch of old plasma cutter parts :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Don't think voltage matters. Transmitter and receiver run from two little aaa batteries. website here with more info : http://www.theowl.com/

My charger maxed out at 4.1kw today. Not bad for a bunch of old plasma cutter parts :)
Sorry Jack, have to disagree:

• Q6: I live in the USA and my electricity is 110 Volts, can I use an Owl Micro

No. as the voltage is set at 230 volts it is not suitable. You can however use the Owl CM119 or Efergy Elite both of which have the facility to set 110 as the voltage!

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
I have one of those OWL gadgets. One of the national newspapers were giving them out free last year, with collected tokens, along with one of those remote controlled extension leads.

Haven't found a use for the extension lead yet but the OWL put me off welding for a while.:D

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #334 ·
Upgraded the brake vac pump today to the vw/audi. A world of difference. Cannot be heard inside the vehicle during driving. Only takes 3-4 seconds to pump up to full vacuum. The tomas used to take 10-15 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2j65O2k9gM

Attachments

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·
Box has a hole in back to let air out. One thing i should point out is that these pumps require a non return valve. If not fitted it just keeps cycling on and off.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #339 ·
Got working on my 4d systems 3.2" display today. Hope to integrate it with the charger and possibly bms.

Attachments

321 - 340 of 581 Posts